For my fellow Catholics

So, as much as I enjoy knocking heavily-processed soy products (tofu is just fine), let me bring back a little Catholic content here

First, Sts. Peter and Paul:

And next, upcoming novena for St. Joseph:

2 Likes

It is hard to avoid tofu when you dont really love meat

Thatā€™s why I eat meat. To avoid tofu.

1 Like

We eat a lot more bean dishes than tofu dishes. We have lentils, chickpeas, chilli, and beans & greens soup (with red and white kidney beans and butter beans) pretty regularly. My husband also makes a cauliflower stew that has red lentils in it and two nights ago he did an awesome Indian dish with moong dal (mung beans).

I love meat, especially meat on the bone. But I also love variety. And the bean dishes are a welcome addition to our rotation.

i donā€™t cook much, but i do make vegetarian chili once in a while. havenā€™t in a while though. i should.

Buying an instant pot has made it a lot easier for me to use different kinds of beans. Canned beans are easy, of course. But thereā€™s so much variety of dried beans, and they are small and light to store. We had a traditional stove-top pressure cooker, but I didnā€™t like having to watch it and fiddle with the temp and make sure it didnā€™t explode.
:wink:
With the instant pot I just dump everything in, and set it to ā€œbeansā€ for the right time, and take it out when I want to use it.

1 Like

Beans, beans, the musical fruit
The more you eat, the more you toot
The more you toot, the better you feel.
So letā€™s have beans with every meal.

1 Like

My spouse makes black beans on the regular for me, and I donā€™t think that would happen prior to the instant pot. We actually have two now, so that the rice I like can cook at the same time.

They actually get used a lot for making potatoes and egg bites as well. I like chili made in the Crock-Pot better because the squash that we like to add doesnā€™t do well under pressure, but is great slow cooked, and the instant pot as a slow cooker is not as good as the Crock-Pot.

Iā€™ve also made really delicious French toast casserole? in the instant pot. But that was slow cooking. Maybe itā€™s just hit or miss.

Thatā€™s why thereā€™s faux fu, for the tofu intolerant

2 Likes

is itā€¦

growing up in asia Iā€™ve never even heard of people not being able to eat noodles or dumplings or bunsā€¦like, you have nothing to eat if you canā€™t eat gluten. Heck, you can buy marinated gluten in a jar and itā€™s delicious and goes with everything.

So itā€™s like the white personā€™s version of being lactose intolerant?

As a non lactose intolerant Asian who also doesnā€™t get red while drinking, I must have superpowers or something.

yes and no. Celiac is pretty common, but there are other people with slight gluten allergies and people who just avoid gluten for health reasons. I would venture a guess and say the Other is the larger portion and many will claim Celiac, mostly just to keep people from being judgey on their eating habits

From this:
Celiac Disease: Fast Facts | BeyondCeliac.org.

An estimated 1 in 133 Americans, or about 1% of the population, has celiac disease.

So, not ā€œpretty common.ā€ Not ā€œextremely rare.ā€

Also, people can simply tell others that ā€œgluten bothers my stomach,ā€ and others should simply STFU about it. Also, once people tell others about it, they themselves can also STFU about it.

1 Like

I meant ā€œpretty common as serious food sensitivities goā€, and 1% IS pretty common. Honestly, I didnā€™t realize it was as high as 1%. Soy is a pretty common allergy, too ā€“ moreso than I realized. Although itā€™s more common in children than adults.

Soy is one of the ā€œBig Eightā€ allergens, along with cowā€™s milk, eggs, peanuts, tree nuts, wheat, fish, and shellfish. These are responsible for 90 percent of all food allergies, according to the Cleveland Clinic. Soy allergy is one of several food allergies that begins early in life, usually before age 3, and often resolves by age 10.

As for all those people who avoid gluten ā€œfor their healthā€, some

And thatā€™s a lot more than 1%, especially as people get older. And the foods that contain fodmaps overlap a lot with the ones that contain gluten. Most of the people who legit feel better when they avoid gluten are actually benefiting from avoiding fodmaps.

And then thereā€™s the whole ā€œitā€™s the current fad to avoid glutenā€ because people have this vague sense that itā€™s generically good for you to do so. Thatā€™s pretty much BS, imo, but thereā€™s always some food fad. There has been all my life. They change a lot, but thereā€™s always something.

soy is even more confusing than gluten.
canā€™t even imagine being asian without gluten and soy.

Soy sauce, tofu, soy milk, etcā€¦

can you even cook asian food without soy sauce?!

1 Like

Dunno if you can, but I canā€™t.

Well, I can cook Indian food without soy. And I guess my beef with oyster sauce recipe doesnā€™t call for soy sauce, although I suspect thereā€™s soy in the oyster sauce. But yeah, if Iā€™m cooking Chinese, I have the soy sauce out.

if you take soy out of oyster sauce then it becomes ter sauce

1 Like

Today was St. Chadā€™s feast day!

Sorry for not notifying my fellow Catholics

Also, sorry, I donā€™t know who the patron for celiacs or people with other food sensitivies is. Maybe this lady:

I guess you can give up the Johnson and Johnson vaccine for lent as well