For my fellow Catholics

That was an interesting read. I wonder where our church gets the communion bread.

At my old church ladies in the church baked it. Not sure now. For several years we bought the pre-packaged wafer/juice combos during Covid so that nothing was passed around / exposed to germs. But starting in 2023 we are primarily doing it the “old” way but we still have the prepackaged stuff for anyone who wants it. The wafers were pretty nasty though… I’m glad they’re back to regular bread.

Having wafers my whole life I don’t think they are that bad. Went to a church right before Covid that had regular bread. Was not expecting it and I thought it was pretty nasty

Some churches have moved to gluten free bread… which is usually worse than the wafers… or at least equally bad.

Yep, we use a gluten free “bread” which is more like a cracker. It’s super dry. I always hope for a small piece.

We use Pepperidge Farm white bread cubed. But then we aren’t Catholic.

I screwed up once and took communion at a Catholic church. That wafer was gross.

My childhood church had everyone bring their own bread and juice. My family often brought a loaf of homemade bread and cola (looks red when you shine a light through it).

We did communion twice a year. It was a big to-do, we had foot washing split by gender (can’t have a man washing a woman’s feet, although the reverse would be fine, since Mary M washed Jesus’s), a full service, and a big potluck/feast after. No bland wafers here!

1 Like

It’s interesting to me how different the different churches are with communion. Perhaps the biggest thing I learned from the nun / communion wafer article was that it was in the 20th century that the Catholic Church started doing communion at every mass and they used to do it monthly.

Methodists… I only ever remember having communion on World Communion Sunday and on Maundy Thursday. Maybe one other Sunday???

Presbyterians: first Sunday of the month (which includes World Communion Sunday) and Maundy Thursday

Lutherans: every Sunday, and I assume Maundy Thursday

UCC: I don’t exactly recall, but it might have been monthly… more often than Methodists anyway. And certainly Maundy Thursday.

1 Like

a little late – St. Scholastica’s day was Feb 10:

She was St. Benedict’s twin sister, and the story behind that picture (and the word balloons):

1 Like

And it had those crunchy edges too, right???

At the bottom of the story there was a link with bikini ads. Good thing Sister Scholastica isn’t around to smite me one!!! :bikini: :laughing:

Mine was an ad for a Mediterranean cruise . . . so I don’t think it was too far off . . . if you don’t mind octogenarians in skimpy swim wear :grimacing:

1 Like

St. Patrick’s Day will be on a Friday during Lent…

…some bishops have already announced dispensations

1 Like

it is Lent, my Catholic dudes

about that…

2 Likes

:rofl:

An analysis of the fish sandwiches on offer this Lent:

I will give away the result: Pope Yes! unsurprisingly wins.

That’s for protein/$

now, he wasn’t able to actually get a Pope Yes! sandwich for a taste test (obviously, the best), so a lesser sandwich won the taste test.

1 Like

By the way, the guy who wrote the piece used to do menu analysis for Wendy’s corporate, and has some interesting info on menu strategy by QSRs (that’s Quick Service Restaurants… or fast-food places)

1 Like

Autocorrect, or papal endorsement of a fast food chicken chain?