For my fellow Catholics

https://twitter.com/calix517/status/1607418818191663104

https://twitter.com/joshcarlosjosh/status/1607485245988958210

2 Likes

I just finished off the Bible in a Year podcast (with Fr. Mike Schmitz), which I recommend:

I would usually listen to the podcast, then do a rosary. The episodes are usually less than a half hour each. And you do, indeed, get through the entire Bible in 365 days (including the ‘extra’ deuterocanonical books like Sirach and Tobit

Or… you can join me in the new Catechism in a Year podcast!

there are a couple preview episodes, but it starts tomorrow

Even if the hammer thing is not a myth, it’s been a while since we’ve had a pope emeritus die. (600 years?) I’m not sure if we can assume the procedures are traditions are exactly the same as when a sitting pope dies.

Correct, which is why I linked to the Pillar on this:

They are pretty straightforward in their explainers compared to some of the other sources I know.

The Pillar has all sorts of goodies over at their site re: Benedict’s death, but of the most actuarial interest is the data on Popes’ ages when they died! (of the Popes that we know their ages when they died)

Yeah, I will do something with this later… hmmmmmm

Here are some non-actuarial posts from there as well:

Thanks for causing me to be distracted today by that dip in ages in the late 10th century.

The tale of John XII’s demise livened up the day.

are you sure that the age(s) are known or simply “known”?

1 Like

How many have died from Pope or just with Pope?

Benedict recovered from Pope and then died

6 Likes

A lot of them probably would have died anyway.

4 Likes

1 Like

Have some Dominican bluegrass

about 30 minutes at the Grand Ole Opry, for a Knights of Columbus convention

St. Michael the Archangel, defend your statues in battle…

Though, to be fair, the guy was drunk. And swords are pointy.

2 Likes

A sword that is not pointy is just an oversized butter knife.

3 Likes

I have been sort of following along with this. I found the discussion of the Canon interesting. All those councils—and I only really knew about Nicea. But then somewhere in the recesses of my mind I remember something about the fact that there were others. Of course there were!

I can go down some rabbit holes.

It also weirdly never occurred to me that the catechism was a book. I mean, I don’t know what I thought it was… My church has a manual with “Articles of Faith”. It would not take a year to read it—unless maybe you took only a sentence or two each day.

I did RCIA in my 20s, and it was all based around the Catechism (the edition before the one they’re using in the podcast). It was pretty good – but I do like this update. It’s more of how it’s organized than anything else.

1 Like

1 Like