DeSantis is a Fascist

Eh… attempting to discredit them is. Did he try to pass a bill saying you couldn’t criticize him without permission though?

That seems like a bridge too far, but perhaps that’s wishful thinking on my part.

He did directly punish Disney for criticizing him, including implying he can now control their content. I don’t think its a bridge too far. I haven’t seen anyone ask him if he does/doesn’t support the bill. Do you think he would not support based on prior behavior?

2 Likes

Do yiu think this bill is even put forward from his party without his blessing?

1 Like

I honestly haven’t followed him enough to say what he would or wouldn’t do.

I thought the Disney thing was driven by them being “too woke” but I only sort-of followed that too, especially in the beginning, so I might have missed some relevant stuff about the whys & wherefores.

I assume it has his blessing. My speculations are about how it will go over with non-Floridian GOP primary voters in 10-18 months’ time.

You might read the link above that funkingded posted

2 Likes

Judging from the GOP reaction to similar Trump spew, they’ll absolutely love it

3 Likes

Perhaps. He doesn’t have Trump’s brand, and it seems he is not going to have Trump’s support in the primary since Trump is supposedly running again.

So the people who think silencing dissenters is great would presumably vote for Trump again, no? Especially outside of Florida.

A lot will change between now and the election. Right now if its a free for all in the GOP primary the MAGA cultists will make Trump the nominee.

No. The new GOP is about power. The candidate perceived to be the most powerful gets the vote. Everything else is a side issue. Trump is perceived as weak due to his losses and his legal issues. DeSantis’s actions are power flexes.

2 Likes

The link suggests that

Sure. The “too woke” was for criticizing Desantis. He changed their local governing entity to be a board of toadies he appointed, to keep them in line and control their content

Disney opposed “Don’t say Gay” so DeFascist said they must be punished for not staying in their lane.

1 Like

Oh, I thought the Disney content & political positions were too woke.

So new GOP is same as the old GOP?

1 Like

Right, that part I followed. I guess I don’t view opposition to “Don’t Say Gay” as being entirely identical to criticism of DeSantis. If we are considering those one and the same, then sure.

(Maybe that’s all the years of modding on a “criticize the post, not the poster” standard”. Obviously I get that DeSantis supports “Don’t Say Gay”. But if I say the bill is dumb, I don’t consider that a criticism of DeSantis. If I say DeSantis is dumb for supporting the bill then that’s a criticism of DeSantis. Perhaps I am splitting hairs too much.)

Opposition to and punishing corporations that don’t agree with you are two different things IMO. YMMV.

Um… sure. Punishing corporations that don’t agree with you is different from opposing them.

I don’t think anything I’ve said contradicts that.

Wasn’t that your only point?

1 Like

Yeah, it’s 10.5 months until the Iowa Republican caucus. A lot can change. I haven’t heard much speculation about any candidates other than DeSantis, Trump, and Haley, but if a crapload more emerge perhaps Trump will be last man standing again. Wikipedia lists seemingly everyone who’s ever been the topic of public speculation about running (the mayor of Cranston, Rhode Island? Really???) and that list is long, but how many will make it past, say, the second debate?

(Oh, I guess Mike Pence is considering a run, but that’s oddly reminiscent of Dan Quayle’s run for the 2000 nomination, and I assume will fizzle at least as fast if not faster.)