DeSantis is a Fascist

Yep. My point is that distinguishing between “fascist” and “communist” and “authoritarian” means looking for those markers.

A lot of my complaints are with generic authoritarians.

1 Like

Yes, my problems are with people who think they have all the answers and won’t listen to anyone else.

Hey @funkingded you might need to register with the state of FL for creating this thread. No “blogging” about dear leader will be allowed by those not registered

2 Likes

That seems to blatantly contradict the first amendment. Good Lord… that’s how you lose an election.

I used to thing the same about bragging about sexual assault but…

2 Likes

Yeah, not thinking it will hurt him, sadly.

2 Likes

but… then Bill Clinton was re-elected?

I would also accept

but… then Clarence Thomas was confirmed?

Sadly, I don’t think these things do nearly as much damage as they ought to.

The first amendment is only for true patriotic beliefs. Anyone that doesn’t praise dear leader must be silenced. Disney has learned their lesson.

3 Likes

Gonna get a new release of Song of the South

3 Likes

Do you rhink any of the idiots that keep electing him care one bit about the constitution?
If they did, there would be no way he would be governor.

2 Likes

Did they brag about it? I wasn’t really paying much attention to things like that at the time.

1 Like

I don’t think Florida Republicans care - at least not enough to matter. But I think when non-Floridian Republicans are choosing between him and another Republican or three in the presidential primary it weakens him. Whether it weakens him enough to matter I guess remains to be seen. If he runs pretty close to unopposed (maybe similar to McCain in 2008) then it obviously won’t matter enough to make a difference.

I think it will also matter with the bona fide swing voters in the general Presidential election if he ends up being the Republican nominee. There’s not many of them but they are the votes that matter most and stuff that makes you actually look like a true fascist is unlikely to play well with those voters.

But if he wants to just sit back and run for statewide office in Florida for the rest of his career then no, this won’t hurt him enough to matter.

True… I’ll concede that point.

I’m less optimistic. I think part of trump’s speak is that he was a “strong man” who could get away with doing stuff other people might not get away with.

3 Likes

This. Other “conservatives” here that are allegedly advocates of free speech have been absolutely giddy over the Desantis strongman approach to dissenters.

3 Likes

Well, I admit I was wrong about Trump’s chances in 2016… an incredibly disappointing thing to be wrong about. Perhaps my opinion is shaded with some wishful thinking. Not that Nikki Haley is particularly exciting, but she’s like a godsend when stacked up against DeSantis and Trump.

Silencing dissenters seems pretty un-American and Republicans are pretty big on patriotism. We’ll see.

Sigh.

Silencing dissenters is big for Trump too, and most of the GOP faithful lap that up. Desantis is just following his lead.

1 Like

BTW, my father is 110% on board with Team Haley. I think he’s contributing to her campaign.

Previously he voted for Kasich in the 2016 Ohio primary, but got behind Team Trump in the general election and voted for him again in 2020.

But now he’s full steam ahead for Haley.
Sample size = 1