Democrats Say the Darndest Things!

pandemic is, COVID health emergency isn’t

which is a somewhat misleading thing to say, since it implies that covid is over. Which is clearly is not.

“The pandemic is over,” Biden said in a “60 Minutes” interview that aired Sunday night. “We still have a problem with Covid. We’re still doing a lot of work on it. But the pandemic is over.”

yes, that is exactly the line I am referring to as misleading.

That sounds leading.

you and I know he was actually referring to the pandemic being downgraded to an endemic, and more covid waves and issues should be expected for years. But he didnt say that, and most people will hear:

“the pandemic is over’” mumble mumble mumble, “the pandemic over”.

There’s plenty to be said for how we ought to be treating Covid now…but Imo, anyone who can’t be bothered with a couple sentences in a row can go fuck themselves.

2 Likes

I don’t get it. Because listeners are idiots and mis-hear what they want to mis-hear, the statement is misleading? The statement is what the statement is.

his context is lacking in the statement. ‘there’s work to be done’ may be the #1 political fluff line in history.

This was clearly meant to be interpreted as a victory statement. And then everyone has to quickly run back and say ‘well technically only the term pandemic can be removed’.

Fixed, for accuracy, just like what was shown in the first instance of his saying that.

1 Like

Right. Lol. If you choose to ignore context, then there’s no context.

fair points. right wing media will certainly clip that out of context, put a picture of Biden sneezing on the screen and claim we have an incompetent president.

as some one that just watched the whole thing, I really thought he made a big statement but failed to get his ideas across about the subject he was trying to talk about. It felt a little bit like the mission accomplished speech from GW, where GW also said things like “Our mission continues” and “We have difficult work to do in Iraq”.

1 Like

Considering trump walked out on his 60 minutes interview, I am curious how much they will even try

how big was the sign over joe’s shoulder that said “COVID’s over”?

1 Like

It was a very poorly worded sentence from a politician that knows any partial string of words that can possibly be taken out of context will be disingenuously interpreted by bad actors.

However I can’t say I would do better off the top of my head. Maybe “We are through the worst of the COVID pandemic and nearly everything is back to business as usual. However it is still a public health concern that we are working on.”

However I have the advantage of thinking for a couple seconds and hindsight.

sounds like members of his own party found it misleading, or at least inconvenient:

“COVID is not over,” Sen. Tim Kaine, D-Va., said Monday when asked about Biden’s remarks, made during a “60 Minutes” appearance that aired the previous day. "I don’t know what he meant – some people use ‘pandemic’ or ‘epidemic’ or other phrases. And he said that COVID isn’t over, the pandemic is over. But the way I look at it, COVID isn’t over."

Senate Majority Whip Dick Durbin agreed.

“The variants are still out there. We are all hoping that it’s over [but] nobody is going to predict with certainty that it is. I’m not,” Durbin, D-Ill., told ABC News on Monday.

When pressed on the fact that the president twice resolutely stated that he believed the pandemic had ended, Durbin shrugged: “Maybe he knows something I don’t.”

Good thing that whatever any president says is not fact or law.
Wake me and Sleepy Joe when he gets to 30,000 incorrect statements.

1 Like

Yeah, I haven’t watched it, but that sounds like a valid complaint.

The Coronavirus is very much under control in the USA… the Stock Market starting to look very good to me!

:stuck_out_tongue: