COVID mortality

I suspect that younger folks don’t distrust the CCP as much as their parents, actually. And China developed their vaccine early. They had vaccine as soon as we did. Plenty of time to vaccinate everyone, if that were the goal and everyone cooperated.

(New Zealand was very late in acquiring vaccine.)

1 Like

Here’s the Nature article that is linked to in Mr. Hobbes’ tweet which was linked to by soyleche which was replied to by me:

tl;dr: “[During 2020, Sweden] had ten times higher COVID-19 death rates compared with neighbouring Norway.”

…but Mr. Hobbes breaks it apart & provides commentary, so it’s worth reading his tweets as well.

1 Like

There must be an easier media than Twitter.

-sigh- goActuary won’t let me just post this, because I just posted this in a different thread

This has a little COVID in it. Okay, there’s COVID in it, but not only COVID

1 Like

So it’s a study with COVID, but not a study from COVID

5 Likes

FINE I’LL RESTART A LIST

Discourse nags you if you’ve already posted the link, but my experience is that it lets me do it. (And you seem to have succeeded.)

What I couldn’t do was simply post the link.

I had to also write a few comments (so I did that)

2 Likes

Given I already saw increase in deaths & crude death rate based on deaths already reported (which is an undercount)… duh.

Also, the racial impact in the preview probably has to do with the geographic impact of first wave in 2020 – NYC-centered.

At beginning of 2021, it was country-wide, and specifically hit midwest, which is very white.

1 Like

Obligatory “driving with COVID.”

-_-

Yes, dammit system, that’s what I wanted to write

1 Like

The parents I know who are worried about their small children are more worried about long term effects, like an increased risk of heart disease or diabetes, than about the acute mortality of the virus. I wish we had more data on that, and how covid compares to flu, measles, and other better known viruses.

Pretty much no one dies from the acute phase of hepatis C, for instance, but it’s still a serious disease.

5 Likes

I think I am interested in the Flu/pneumonia underlying causes of death, in particular for 2021 when Influenza was almost non-existent. Interested as in are there rare cases where the other endemic coronaviruses can lead to fatal pneumonia, and could we expect COVID to start behaving more like those other strains? Pure infection rates of COVID were still going to be high for 2021 relative to an endemic virus, so even that 51 could fall over time.

So much this.

1 Like

we will eventually, right?

All too much data on the subject.