COVID Home Test Kits

Not anywhere within a 2 hour drive of where I live. Fortunately I have enough test kits I need for my upcoming short trip.

No, I’m saying buy them online. Doesn’t help if you need them today, but it does if you want some next week

Oh, well, when I go online, it says out of stock and doesn’t allow me to add it to my card.

I can order some tests on Amazon and have them delivered by the end of January. But, in all honesty, I don’t know if having some spare tests in the medicine cabinet will be necessary in 3 weeks.

Aaaaaand, they’re gone.

1 Like

The ones I have are called FlowFlex. There is one per box and they are $10 each (when I can get them).

I think I accidentally learned what could be a Walmart hack. Yesterday I put a couple Binax kits in my cart just to test that I could. I didn’t check out as I didn’t need them, but kept them in my cart. I think that’s why they were still showing as available for me just now, as once I emptied my cart the availability went away. I don’t know if I could have actually bought them then, but it appeared that I could.

Of course, if in 3 or 4 weeks, something comes up and you want to rapid-test…you can either have a few on hand, or hope that the supply constraints have worked themselves out by then.

It looks like they were probably available because I was able to add them to my cart but once I went to check out it said they were out of stock and there is no longer an option to add them to the cart.

1 Like

At least a few people here did successfully order the Binax kits from Walmart yesterday. Keep checking if you need them (and Walgreens, CVS) as availability comes and goes quickly

1 Like

it’s available on walmart.com right this second.

i already ordered 4 though. don’t need more.

I feel like this crazed buying of home covid tests is a lot of hype with little prevention of spread. It is similar to when we tried to develop those contract tracing programs, which on paper looked so promising, only for us to realize there was little practical application of the concept. similar when everyone was buying and making masks in the millions. similar to when places were painting dots on the floor to force distancing.

people feel like the need to do SOMETHING to take back some control. and maybe that helped some amount >0, but this isnt going to even make a dent in the spread at a high level.

imo, the only effective measures to prevent spread have been 1: vaccines, by like a massively large margin, 2: practical isolation (from events, bars, unvaxxed, etc) 3: correct mask wearing in close contact with the sick.

I would add improved ventilation, but im not convinced we actually did that anywhere. we just talked about it.

1 Like

I wish this would lead to better ventilation in schools, public buildings, and restaurants. Good ventilation makes a big difference preventing colds and flus, too.

You can recirculate the air if you clean it with filters or UV. Or you can replace the air, which is probably better, since it also reduces environmental toxins (like stuff that outgasses from carpet). Both are quite practical in many settings. I wish we’d do it.

1 Like

I just want to know if I have covid if I have symptoms and not have to figure out how to get a PCR test when those are hard to get now. Seems it would achieve that goal. Several of the PCR testing places near me closed down temporarily due to too much covid and it would be annoying to have to figure out how to even get a test while also feeling sick.

1 Like

Yeah, well…

Properly implemented contract tracing would help stop the spread.
Easy and accessible testing would help stop the spread.
Complete or nearly complete vaccination would help help stop the spread.

But we haven’t been able to do that. We already have the tools to keep this virus at bay. We just haven’t been able to use the tools properly.

Pffff… walmart.com is such a tease.

says it is in stock now

Until you try to checkout.

Whatever, I bought a couple iHealths from amazon, they’ll be here in 2-3 weeks.

ah, weird. it worked for me yesterday. i guess i was lucky.

Same.

I got the order to go through a few minutes ago.