COVID Home Test Kits

10 pack of BinaxNOW for the low price of $350 and free shipping If you order now, they will double your order and send you 20 total rapid COVID tests.

Expected delivery date, Jan 20.

See, the problem is, when there are shortages it is rational to hoard, because it really sucks to run out of toilet paper, or not be able to get a test when you need it, or whatever. And maintaining a stash that’s a little more than you expect to use is the most reliable way to not run out, since it’s hard to predict precise useage, and it is impossible to predict future availability.

RA tests aren’t (just) for you. We should be RA testing every single time we go to the grocery store, or to the pharmacy, or anywhere where you are inside for more than 1-2 minutes. The supply isn’t there for that, but it should be, and that’s how we’d control the omicron wave. If you are never leaving your house, then sure, you don’t need them. But given how many people will spread omicron thinking they have a slight cough or the sniffles, testing every time you go out is the only effective strategy we could have used.

idk, still not getting your point here. i don’t think many people are hoarding binaxnow tests as a status symbol or whatever you’re getting at.

I think some people are probably getting tests “just because” when they likely don’t need them / won’t use them. The fact that they’re in short supply amps their belief that they need them, regardless of their actual or perceived risks.

Again, not difficult.

i don’t think a lot of people are doing that. the risk is high of contracting covid for most people.

again, not difficult…

my risk is probably lower than most, but once in a while i do things that put me at risk, as do most people.

It’s hit and miss here. I like to keep a small stash 1-ish per person on hand. I took a couple to my parents house over Xmas. Explained to my mom: They are not just for you. If someone is coming over and you’re not sure about them, ask them to take the test before coming in the house.

We used a few over the holidays. On New Years I made anyone hanging out with my daughter test first since she had to officially test negative on Sunday to get on the plane and go back to school this week.

My stepdaughter is a tech at a CVS. She texts me when a shipment comes in. I’ve been able to maintain my small stash and offer tests to friends who weren’t able to find them when needed.

I almost broke my boycott in March because they had vaccines available a couple hours away in the po and it was the shortest drive to get one. Fortunately something opened up closer by. I don’t think I have been to one in at least 5 years now, and only a couple of times in the prior 5, and only while on vacation and options were limited.

I am expecting that I will have to break that a couple times this summer though…

Pff, the average is not necessarily the median.

Checked my Target app this morning when I woke up and they said they have some “limited supplies in stock” of rapid tests. Ran there right at 7 am, went to the aisle it told me and nada. Talked to someone, they went to the back, and 8 showed up last night. So I took 2 boxes (4 tests). The tests are Access Bio (never heard of them) but says they are FDA approved.

Also I woke up with a slightly itchy throat, which I am currently chalking up to the cold, dry air. But if it doesn’t go away by lunch I’ll give a test a try.

Technically, no at-home COVID test is FDA approved. The have EUA from the FDA. Which takes nothing away from your point. What you got from Target has the same FDA stamp of approval as the one they sell at Walmart.

Not gonna lie. I enjoy each and every article about politicians getting bitten in the ass for treating the pandemic like it’s over.

3 Likes

FWIW, my CEO and CMO (both MDs) went down the rabbit hole on the accuracy of covid tests and recommend 1) Binax or 2) iHealth Labs. Binax tests are available at random times (see all the posts above), iHealth is shipping on a ~10 day lead time right now.

I’ll admit that I’m a sheeple here, I haven’t read 48 studies on the accuracy of all the tests on the market. I generally trust medical advice from my CEO and CMO though, so.

If you take a folding chair to walmart, camp out in front of the testing section and wait up to 24 hours, you will probably be able to score some test kits.

Or, if you’re willing to pay 2x retail or more, and wait probably 1-2 weeks, you can find them online.

…and you’ll probably get covid. Which will make those tests come in handy! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I like that I have an actuarial background and understand enough Baysian probability to know why each test kit comes with 2 tests.

Right now I see the Binax ones available at Walmart again for $20.

Rather than camping out, I’d just keep checking the website.

1 Like