Omicron

In my experience, very rural areas are the most likely to have busing, because it’s not realistic for parents to get their kids to school.

I was once driving down a rural highway, the sort of road with a 65mph speed limit, when the school bus in front of me turned on its lights and slowed down. So I slowed, and then stopped when it did. As did all the traffic in both directions. And then the bus driver opened the door, and some little kids emerged and walked across the highway. And when they were safely near their house, the bus turned off its lights and we all started moving again.

You need a responsible bus-driver in that kind of place.

1 Like

Your post made me laugh…like it is such a foreign concept to you that you explained how it all worked and are amazed at the bus driver’s attention to detail.

I assumed this was pretty standard anywhere in suburbia. :man_shrugging:

3 Likes

I love your stories about your son! :heart:

1 Like

In suburbia, the bus is usually on a little residential road with a 25mph speed limit. And I’ve seen drivers ignore the lights and go around the bus. I was impressed to see it all work so smoothly on a highway.

1 Like

My aunt is a retired bus driver in an extremely rural area. Her routes were very long, but they definitely bussed the kids to school.

If anything I’d say it’d be the opposite. In the big cities they might not need busses because everything is so close and there are public transportation options.

I’m not sure about now, but in the 1990s Cincinnati Public had fairly minimal bussing. A lot of kids rode city busses, especially for magnet schools. Or they walked to local schools which were very close to where they lived so they could walk.

Special Ed kids got the yellow school busses, and maybe some of the magnet elementary schools did too, although I’m not positive (will have to ask Stepsibling). Certainly by 7th grade the kids going to magnet schools rode the city busses if they lived too far to walk, which for the magnets most of them did.

Sore throat went away, but now a slight stuffy/runny nose. Just used a self test. Let’s see if I got the Big O. 6:00 left on the timer…

Yeah, my husband grew up in NYC and he took public transit to school. The kids got a transit pass. Same in lots of other cities. And where I live in the 'burbs, most kids don’t qualify for busing. It’s rural areas that depend the most on busing.

5 Likes

Another coworker just got COVID - making soup for them tonight. Another had his wife get COVID, and he separately got the flu! That must be a fun household.

But what kind of soup?

1 Like

I grew up rurally, we were bussed. A 1 hour trip each way, all down rural, often unpaved roads. An hour, with 40 caged wild animals.
In HS, I never made it past the first week before the bus driver hauled me up and made me sit at the front of the bus.

Chicken noodle with the long Amish egg noodles :slight_smile: Celery, carrot, some onion. The noodles soak up a ton of broth so they’re very easy on a sore throat, but I’ll use some extra broth in this case too.

Maybe also some loaded baked potato if I’m ambitious. A friend brought me soup recently, paying it forward.

5 Likes

I recently had Cauliflower soup for the first time, which I would have thought was disgusting but was actually extremely delicious. Creamy, almost like a potato flavor. Highly recommend if you are looking to try something new. Kids both ate their entire bowl so you know it wasn’t bad.

4 Likes

You yada yada’d the best part

4 Likes

Still waiting for results, but breathing is slightly labored (like I’m aware that I’m breathing a lot more than normal) plus some GI symptoms, and Relative had a fever yesterday afternoon that is gone today.

I have no fever though… our symptoms are totally different, but all on the list for Omicron symptoms.

So I’m assuming we’re both going to get positive results. :grimacing:

2 Likes

Sounds too risky… cauliflower soup sounds entirely unappetizing

It does. I didn’t even want to taste it when my wife said it was good. I was wrong.

Sounds like spousal abuse.

1 Like

I mentioned the bisque.

Depends on her age, might be vaccine au naturale