Covid 19 Vaccine Side Effects Thread

Almost 24 hours past vaccination. Felt pretty much 100% all day yesterday. Was more tired than normal last night, but that could have been because I slept terrible the night before. Arm is more sore today than yesterday. Still yet to experience chills/fever.

:knocks on wood:

4 Likes

And more importantly while you are in the middle of a heated RPS quarterfinals match!

Been about 34 hours since Pfizer shot #2.

Very slightly sore arm. Less sore than last time.

No other noticeable side effects.

My co-worker (also Pfizer #2) said it hit her fast & hard. At one point her mother called her to check on her and she happily reported that she had no side effects at all. 10 minutes later she couldnā€™t hold her head up. She said that was around the 16 hour mark.

I pre-emptively took a single Ibuprofen PM last night when I went to bed (half a regular dose) and slept through the night, when I would have hit the 16 hour mark, and woke up feeling fine. :woman_shrugging:

2 Likes

Cross post with will you get the vaccine ā€¦, summary:
No prior COVID infection
1st Pfizer - sore arm when using muscle, nothing else
2nd Pfizer noon Tuesday - no real noticeable side effects until mid-morning Wed, couldnā€™t concentrate on work. Nasal symptoms (light runniness) around noon, fever at 3pm, slept until 6pm, low grade fever after waking from nap. Muscles were achy from weekend work, which I didnā€™t feel before. Went to bed at 9pm, woke up Thursday at 6:30am feeling much better, nearly 100%.

2 Likes

Just got Pfizer 2. Going to bed a little early, but Iā€™ve been wanting to do that all week. Weā€™ll see what tomorrow brings.

1 Like

Weird. The second shot for me actually stings, I didnā€™t even feel the first one. Waiting on the 15 minutes and I am generally aware of the injection site.

what time zone are you in? this seems really late to be getting the shot.

they were doing overnight hours at javits for a while, but i donā€™t think they are doing that anymore. i went at a normal time thankfully.

it didnā€™t sting for me.

Theyā€™re doing them overnight here. Itā€™s almost 10:30. My original appointment was at 11pm, but I was able to reschedule earlier. They tried to give me a 2 am one hahahahellno.

2 Likes

My first one stung. Not at first, but as I was in the waiting area it was stinging noticeably.

The second one never stung like that, but I got a weird taste in my mouth later, like I do with the flu shot every year, only not nearly as strong.

I wonder why the same doses of the same drug had such a different short-term effect.

I had a smaller needle the second time. That surprised me. But the smaller needle hurt less. (Not that the larger one hurt much, but i definitely felt it going in.)

No idea about the taste thing. Thatā€™s weird.

I had the same thing. I was told that there was a larger dose in the second stab. I hardly felt the first one, sort like a mosquito bite, the second stab actually hurt going in. I commented to the nurse and she said it was hard to stab people and not make it hurt.

I donā€™t recall the needle sizes, both looked small. The first shot was drawn from a vial, and the second shot came in a pre-filled syringe, I did notice that.

Both of mine were in pre-filled syringes.

Iā€™m afraid of needles, and always notice them.

When I went back for my second dose of Pfizer, it seemed like vaccinators were doing both first and second doses.

I didnā€™t discern any difference in the second dose syringe from my first dose, and in both cases I was surprised to barely notice the jabs. (I donā€™t know whether that was the local choice of needles vice other injections Iā€™ve received, or the skill of the vaccinator.) I didnā€™t really feel much until my arm started to ache later.

Both times, the vaccinator seemed to have a supply of pre-filled syringes. I assume they had another station someplace where other clinic workers were preparing syringes from vials and having them distributed to the individual stations, to keep the factory lines running smoothly.

(This was a mass vaccination site, with something like 20 stations set up, and maybe a hundred or so people scheduled for each 15-minute window.)

Iā€™m tempted to think skill plays a significant impact. The flu vaccine always seems like theyā€™ve barely even jabbed me but this last year I got it it was by a guy who looked younger than me and it was one of the most painful vaccines Iā€™ve ever received.

I had a shooting ache about 3 seconds after they jabbed me that lasted maybe 5 seconds. Then it went away until the next day. The next night and the night after, I couldnt sleep on that arm. Turns out I highly prefer sleeping on that side, so it was annoying.

From the EUA

Dosing and Schedule
The Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 Vaccine is administered intramuscularly as a
series of two doses (0.3 mL each) 3 weeks apart.

Itā€™s definitely two doses that are the same. The same stuff and the same volume.

https://www.fda.gov/media/144413/download

There was talk of trying to use a lower initial dose of the AZ vaccine, but it was rejected in part because itā€™s more complicated to keep track. Despite that, i believe the Sputnik vaccine actually is two different things in the first and second dose. (Two different adenovirus vectors, iirc.)

1 Like

I never look. Having the muscle relaxed is supposed to help so I look elsewhere and try to relax. Iā€™m not going to do that if Iā€™m looking at the needle.

3 Likes

:iatp: I still look away and relax my arm and usually try to get myself thinking about something else.

I look away when they actually jab me. But Iā€™ve never not noticed the needle while sitting there answering ā€œstate your name and birthdateā€ and whatever else they need to know.