Covid 19 Vaccine Side Effects Thread

Johnson & Johnson gives a 28 day timeline, but the CDC says they consider you fully vaccinated 2 weeks after your final dose.

2 Likes

yeah, I looked it up. Thought it was 2 weeks, but it sounds like you are somewhat protected after 15 days, but not fully protected until 4 weeks.

I think the person who jabbed me said 14 days though.

The Pfizer study actually counted effectiveness starting one week after the second dose. I think the CDC is just publicizing “2 weeks” so they have a simple, easy to remember message.

I can still barely stand fully balanced without the Meclizine. I’m actually starting to think I somehow actually got COVID just prior to getting vaccinated or something. This seems more in line with some of the long-term brain recovery that’s been associated with the disease itself. Sleep has been the most efficient medicine by far. Am back at work this morning without any unusual spells a couple hours in, which is much better than last week. Needed the long weekend desperately.

I got the Johnson & Johnson vaccine yesterday morning. Very mild arm soreness (nothing like the flu shot for me). Woke up this morning with the same headache I get when I have the flu, which is miserable. Drank water and had Tylenol and now I’m doing okay, but it was a rough few hours.

The pharmacist said side effects usually go away within 48 hours at least.

1 Like

Half-dosed on meds today as some newer info has come out saying that keeping up the Meclizine actually slows you from healing up as you quickly become dependent on it. So far so good in general. With much sleep maybe I can ween off through the rest of the week.

Pfizer dose 1: my wife had a pretty sore shoulder later that day and into the next with small bruising. I had nothing day of, and very mild soreness second day.

We’ll see how dose 2 goes in a few weeks

I don’t think I’ve ever heard of that before.

My mom got the Moderna shot a few days ago. Apart from a sore shoulder, she had no other side effects!!! :+1: :older_adult:

6 Likes

1st Pfizer dose, just mild soreness in arm.

2 Likes

Counterpart at work got his second shot of Pfizer this morning and he appears to be now dying.

1st Pfizer dose. Took a long nap. Then again, I slept 4 hours the night prior.

Two co-workers were miserable after their second Pfizer shot. One never gets sick and had to leave early when we’re pretty dang busy so she must have been in a really bad way.

The other toughed it out but she said she was really hurting.

I get my second Pfizer shot next week. Pretty nervous about it.

this is exactly why I chose J&J. I just hope that J&J is effective enough that I don’t wind up having a horrible bout of COVID :grimacing:

I think it’s pretty effective at preventing horrible bouts of Covid. But to err on the side of safety I would work off the manufacturer’s “4 week” timeline rather than the CDC’s “2 week” timeline before you consider yourself fully protected.

At least that’s what I’d do.

I would’ve chosen Johnson & Johnson if I’d had the choice but most of the providers in my area don’t tell you which vaccine you’re getting until you show up. I showed up and they had Pfizer so my choice was Pfizer or nothing.

This study says Moderna recipients have relatively higher rates of side effects compared to Pfizer, but J&J isn’t included in this study.

1 Like

Yeah, Pfizer was my second choice because I’ve heard it has fewer side effects than Moderna.

Plus you only have to wait 3 weeks to get your second shot instead of 4, so you hit your “fully protected” date a week earlier.

But if I’d shown up and all they had was Moderna, I would’ve sighed and gotten Moderna anyway.

based on anecdotal evidence, my guess is that J&J has the lowest side effects outside of people who already had covid.

I just got the first appt I could, didn’t even ask what I was getting. We’ll see, might get a fever or a headache when I get this in 48 hours, oh well.

1 Like

My 70+ year old parents had 0 reaction to either Pfizer shot besides a sore arm described as “nothing worse than a flu shot”.

2 Likes