Chowder enlightement

As I understand it Clam Chowder can be either milk/cream or broth based, pointed out by PatientZombie’s list. Other types of chowders I’ve had and made such as corn chowder or seafood chowder have a dairy base. I prefer a Creole style seafood chowder or a corn chowder if I’m making a milked based soup.

Now I’m really craving soup.

2 Likes

Do you make soup? I make soup often. I love it cause I can use almost anything in the frig or pantry and turn it into a tasty light dinner. I made a pureed potato and onion soup yesterday. It would have been vegan if I didn’t toss the scraps and edible rinds of the cheeses from the holidays in before I pureed it (a stick blender is the best for creaming soup).

3 Likes

I make soup now and then. Mostly avgolemono, which is my favorite, and a Mexicali/tortilla hybrid soup. Chicken noodle is good. Chicken and dumplings. Chili. Mmmm, soup…

I should explore more soups, I think.

1 Like

I expanded my soup repertoire by expanding on the soups I made. Chicken rice instead of chicken noodle, etc. Watching Jacque and Julia was enlightening as well.

1 Like

Pho. :yum:

Had split pea soup tonight. Lish.

Wife will make chicken noodle, matzoh ball, Mexican tortilla

I do love soup, add a lobster bisque as a favorite seafood soup

They served that in my company cafeteria. When I ordered it the counter guy stares at me a second and comments, you’re the first person to pronounce it correctly today

1 Like

Ooh, i love that. That’s a soup I’ve never made. Mostly i make hearty bean soups, or matzo ball soup.

1 Like

Cold weather is perfect for soups and stews!!! :yum:

1 Like

Making a batch of avgolemono soup now.

2 Likes

I am a big fan of soups and stews. As far as Chowdah, I am partial to the NE version but I rarely have the opportunity to eat the Manhattan/tomato based version.

2 Likes

To me, a chowder has to be creamy. The Manhattan style may well be a delicious soup, but I’d have a hard time calling it a chowder.

Had a shrimp corn chowder with dinner last night

1 Like

Yeah, that’s my take. It’s a popular soup, and it deserves a name, but the name it got was ill-chosen, since it’s not a chowder. It’s a completely unrelated clam soup.

1 Like

Is this an R I’m not Ning?

New England is comprised of Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont, Massachusetts, Rhode Island and Connecticut.

Manhattan is in New York, so no, most definitely NOT part of New England.

Yes, I agree with that take. Manhattan clam chowder is not actually chowder; it’s a misnomer.

I kind of view that part of the US as one little blob that’s kind of hard to distinguish because the states are so small and packed together.

New York State is not geographically small. It’s practically the median state, size-wise [actually 27th, but pretty close in size to 25 (Illinois) & 26 (Iowa)].

Maine isn’t tiny either, but the other 5 New England states definitely are and they are 5 of the 7 smallest states. (Delaware and New Jersey being the other 2).