Chowder enlightement

I read some thread in reddit about a lawmaker who proposed to punish people who put tomatoes in clam chowder. Now, I’m familiar with the dish since I’ve seen pictures of it but I am not aware of whatever taboos there are as far as what’s supposed to go in it. Are you not supposed to put tomatoes in it, and if so, why not?

isn’t manhattan clam chowder made with tomatoes?

3 Likes

it looks like it according to Google, but it seems like many people in the thread agreed with the lawmaker

is it like how you’re not supposed to put ketchup on hotdogs?

Is it a law against manhattan clam chowder cause I think tomatoes are the main ingredient.

I’ve had both, the white New England clam chowder is where it’s at, imo.

2 Likes

Isn’t Manhattan in New England

or wait that makes no sense, it’s New Amsterdam right

We should go for clam chowder some time. That’s some good eatin’ right there!!! :yum:

New England Clam Chowder is cream based

Manhattan Clam Chowder is Tomato Based - I believe so named that people in NE saw it as an evil that had to come from Manhattan (it didn’t)

Long Island Clam Chowder (yes it exists) is a 50/50 mix of the two - I believe I know where it originated, but no verification

Rhode Island Clam Chowder is a clear broth

Portuguese Clam Chowder is RI with tomatoes in it, or a little tomato sauce which might be what led to Manhattan

and that is all I know about clam chowder

3 Likes

Dad was a huge fan of the Manhattan Clam Chowder so we had that a lot growing up. Personally I prefer the New England style but Manhattan is not bad.

My kids won’t go near either and my wife is not a big fan so we don’t really do either Clam Chowder any more.

Though Emril Lagasi has a real good “Fall River Clam Chowder” recipe we used to make most years for Super Bowl.

okay so you’re saying it’s like a coke right, even when it’s sprite

Cream or Clear

Thanks, Bubba.

It’s basically a New England style, but with bacon. And everything is better with bacon.

3 Likes

Putting catsup on hot dogs is the Devil’s work.

2 Likes

It is not.

yeah it’s kind of hard to identify with all those little states so close together

This is 100% correct.

Also, spelling “ketchup” as “catsup” is the Devil’s work

1 Like

I like them both equally, and often order clam chowder as an appetizer if it’s available. I prefer the NE version thicker, and the Manhattan version “soupier”.

Ketchup, mustard, and dill relish go on hot dogs.

Haven’t had Manhattan clam chowder but I’d try it. A good New England clam chowder in a sourdough bread bowl :yum:

3 Likes