Chick-Fil-A, McDonald's, & Starbucks

Sonic’s food is fine, but if I go there it’s for a shake or something else dessert-y.

KFC cole slaw may very well be why I shudder just thinking about the stuff. We had KFC on a regular basis growing up, and my mom always put a spoonful of coleslaw on everyone’s plate and we had to eat everything on our plates.

My spouse makes a mustard based cole slaw that isn’t awful, but sweet cole slaw makes me feel ill.

1 Like

Whereas i sometimes enjoy give guys, but won’t eat any mcdonald’s burgers. If i buy lunch there, i get the fish sandwich, light on tartar sauce, and a small fries.

My problem with Five Guys is the price. For 4 of us to eat there it costs almost $60. To me the burger is just OK. There really isn’t anything special about it and every other burger restaurant I can feed the family for less than $40. The one near us also for some reason doesn’t do the bag full of fries thing so that price is even more egregious.

2 Likes

So, flat and dry?
What is your problem, sir??

If I go to McDonald’s I usually get some sort of chicken sandwich. Wendy’s too, for that matter.

:astonished:

IMO, this is location dependent. When I lived in Denver, 5 Guys was on par with other burger joints. Sure, McD’s was cheaper, but in terms of burger joints they were about average. $10 for a burger, if you want fries add $4. 5 Guys might have actually been a little more cost-effective because you could get one large order of fries for like five people.

Here in the midwest, 5 Guys charges about the same price as in Denver. But here, local burger joints are just as good and cheaper.

Yeah, when I go there I get one order of fries for the table. I also eat a lot of the free peanuts. But the major reason I like it more than McDonalds is that the burger tastes reasonably good, like beef. And I can get it with just ketchup, or with just mushrooms and cheese, without it being a weird special order. McDonalds hides a dry, puck-like burger under all sorts of sauces and condiments I don’t want.

I know you didn’t say anything about this in particular, but I want to say: I don’t know if it’s the same everywhere - but I’ve noticed that paying for the large fries at 5 guys is not worth it at all. You don’t get all that many more for the extra money. If you want more fries, just buy 2 small orders.

lol, I usually buy one small fries to share, and we usually throw some out when we are done. So, I, uh, have no idea what you get with the large fries.

Most of the time when I went to 5 Guys it was with 4 or 5 guys at the table. Even with the amount they give with an order, one just wasn’t enough.

Ocassionally it was just with 3 guys, and then 1 order was just about right.

It’s usually me and one other adult, and the small order of fries is excessive.

No peanuts during the pandemic, ugh. I normally eat a lot of them. If I’m with my family, none of us are that big on fries and we just do burgers and nuts.

I haven’t eaten anywhere other than my home since the pandemic. I guess we ate out a couple of times really early on, before everything shut down. We got takeout some during the summer. If the numbers keep going down, and if any restaurants still exist, we’ll probably start getting takeout again soon.

Yeah, I get that. I now live in a small town that happens to have a diverse food scene and I’m trying to support that, so we get to-go or delivery a couple times per week.

That’s bolstered by the fact that we are remodeling our house. On Saturday I was painting until about 8PM, and my wife was out of town. So I figured a) I’m too tired to cook, and b) I think I earned whatever I wanted for dinner. Which happened to be laab and some drunken noodles. Which is probably what I’m having for dinner tonight!

Yeah, I’d like to support the local restaurants. But I care more about my health, and it just doesn’t feel safe to me. I may be overly worried about the hazards of takeout food.

I may be not worried enough. It’s a hard risk/reward to calculate for sure.

So far, this pandemic has been a minor inconvenience to me at worst.

Wearing a mask–no big deal.

Can’t go to restaurants–bad for the first few months; no w most of them are open. We still go out. Not as often, but still go out to eat with zero reservations (no pun intended)

No sports–stinks that my softball and volley ball leagues got canceled. Still more of an inconvenience than anything.

No concerts–darn. Again, minor quality of life issue.

Groceries–still go to the store four or five times a week.

Travel–ha ha. Suckers!

We have been getting carry out and rice thru a lot. I don’t really see much risk in that. Probably even less than the grocery store. I have not eaten in a restaurant but maybe twice since last March.