Burial Alternatives?

Don’t know if those belongs here, or in humor, or the beef thread:

Rep. Heather Scott introduced a bill this Thursday to expand the state’s cannibalism ban and said that she fears cannibalism is on the rise due to an increase in human composting.

“This is going to be normalized at some point, the way our society’s going and the direction we’re going,” Scott said.

The bill would ban someone giving another person “the flesh or blood of a human being” without that person’s “knowledge or consent.”

For sake of argument let’s ignore the craziness of thinking that society is heading towards normalizing cannibalism. And I assume the knowledge or consent part refers to the diner, rather than the dinner. But still, leaving voluntary cannibalism open feels like it defeats the purpose of a cannibalism ban.

5 Likes

Absolute moron. Human composting is a wonderful idea and is one of my more preferred ways to be disposed of. I’d prefer a sky burial, but I don’t believe it’s legal anywhere in the US.

The fewer chemicals we stuff corpses with before letting them rot and release them to the environment, the better. Not to mention that new cemeteries could be dramatically reduced.

2 Likes

Whac-a-mole has become whac-a-moron. These people just keep appearing.

2 Likes

well, no, I don’t believe I am allowed to hit them with a giant mallet

1 Like

is this just buried without all the embalming? (and not, as the term suggests i imagine, dead gramps in the heap of rotten veggies in the corner of the back yard)

Where do these politicians come from? Is there a factory somewhere producing them?

Imagine if your political legacy was that you had introduced a bill limiting cannibalism.

2 Likes

Not even those soft air-filled ones that squeak when you hit something with it?

It’s pretty much the same as normal composting. Stuff the body into some mulch, introduce some bacteria, 2 months later no body.

But you’re correct it’s not (at least generally) done in the backyard and used for next year’s tomatoes.

sweet. i like it. not as fast as feeding me to a pig (according to that movie) or soaking me in acid (TV show) but feels better.

when my mom died, the casket sales guy was touting one of the models as superior bc of the seal being better and how it “protected the body so much better.” I looked at him and asked “from what does it need protecting?”

6 Likes

I think the concept of sticking dead gramps in the heap of rotten veggies is actually closer to the reality than you might expect. They’re doing stuff to the corpse to expedite its transformation into usable soil.

Here’s a link to one composting firm’s description: Our Model | Recompose

Composting has become my preferred mode for disposing my carcass…although my wife is creeped out by the notion enough that I’ve given a blessing to an alternative my wife came across: Parting Stone for People - Turn Ashes into Stones

(Basically, I’m not a fan of the idea of my carcass being locked inside a box for eternity. I’d prefer to be returned to the environment somehow. Composting comes closest to completing a cycle of life.)

1 Like

Honestly, composting is essentially “like a normal burial but we didn’t fuck with it”. Normally the corpse is stuffed full of chemicals to make it decompose slowly enough to be viewed, then put into a wooden box, then potentially a concrete encasement depending on the geography, then it very slowly decomposes and leeches chemicals into the land.

This is no different, except sped up and no chemicals or land use.

My primary preference would be to be left somewhere deep on state/federal land where nobody often traipses. Leave my body on the forest floor for the animals, put a plaque on a tree noting my burial site (to avoid suspicion of a murder victim, and if anybody wants to visit.) There are places working on this and they plan to build GPS locators to have a record of where each body was left.

1 Like

Are you sure? just asking questions.

There’s a school of thought among some Christians that around the time of the Second Coming, all the faithful departed will have their bodies restored and physically transported to Heaven…but for that to happen, you need to have a physical body available.

When my father passed, my aunt was seriously distraught over his cremation partly for this reason. (She also wanted to see him one last time, but since there was a certain unknown about how long his remains would need to be preserved, given that my wife and I were in isolation due to COVID…)

It’s not a point of faith that I personally hold, but it’s no more or less valid than some of the wacky religious beliefs I hold, so… :person_shrugging:

Well, until a coyote eats the device, then shits it somewhere else.

Not on the bodies. Databases. They could be moved, but realistically, would be eaten before going far.

That’s why there’s more of them appearing.

Can you have this done, but without the GPS locators?

Asking for a friend, obviously.

2 Likes

Probably wanted to fully outlaw it, but big cannibalism got in the way again.

5 Likes

Even my religious mother asked to be cremated. I found her burial ceremony quite moving where I and my brothers took turns mixing her ashes into the ground.

I have emphasized to my children that I wish to be cremated and the ashes are to be mixed into the ground of the farm I grew up on. Maybe I prefer that route as I was traumatized as a kid by fictional stories of folks mistakenly buried alive.

Thinking about this again…

My parents were both avid geocachers. I bet they would have been intrigued by this concept.

1 Like

I’ve always thought it would be cool to be buried under a fruit tree

1 Like