Bullying Thread

Moderating:

This is a thread about bullying. Bullying in a high school. Bullying that led to a kid’s death.

It is not a thread about covid, nor about whether vaccination works, nor about masks. We’ve covered these topics elsewhere.

It is relevant that a topic of the bullying was vaccination. Since the kid seems to have been vaccinated, whether vaccination is or isn’t important seems totally irrelevant.

I’m banning @Marcie from this thread. Marcie, you seem too angry about covid restrictions in general to separate that from adjacent discussions. Feel free to start a new thread if you want to complain about being required to wear a mask to do stuff

I’m instructing everyone else to get back to the topic.

Everyone, feel free to take the covid argument to another thread.

2 Likes

I didn’t know you could do that. Unless it is more of a general “don’t post here or you’ll get in trouble” ban versus literally preventing Marcie from posting.

Probably because the slanderers are minor children. But their slanders can cause the same problem that slanders by adults does.

Maybe if any of the slandering kids was 18 something could be done?

I haven’t been following exactly what was being said about the kid though.

OTOH, this is a thread about cyberbullying, and there were excellent examples of that right here, yet other posters STILL felt compelled to respond, and drift the thread.

Now, if you-all took a page from my book, you’d be happier clowns.

I don’t think the “slander” is the main issue here. It’s that kids are assholes and will look for any reason to bully another kid.

I struggle to put any of the kids in my school growing up in any bucket. There were rich kids, poor kids, divorced parents and not.

There was an influencer in the class that I think caused most of the problems.

Those little brats need to get thrown in the brig for slanderin

Just “don’t post here or you’ll get in trouble”.

DM me if you want me to move the covid discussion to a separate thread. (that invitation is open to Marcie, too.)

I think it’s more the other way around. Teens have low self-respect because their peers throw rocks at them and tell them to go kill themselves. If our adult jobs were like that, we’d probably all have self-esteem issues.

We need one of those funny mix-up movies where the kids become the grownups and the grownups become kids. But then the grownups are cyberbullied into suicide.

1 Like

There are plenty of cases where adults are cyber-bullied, and it’s a major problem for those adults. But it’s WAY more common among kids. Mostly because teens are assholes.

If our adult jobs were like that we would go to hr. It’s just not really acceptable to bully your coworkers like that. Somehow teens get more of a pass there. I never felt safe in school as a kid. Never had anything close to that feeling in an office as an adult.

There’s a guy (T.R.) that hangs out at a craft beer store/taproom that I’d consider a bully. When I come in all his tone turns to how much the Packers suck, WI sucks, my clothes suck etc… What an asshole.

1 Like

Yeah the meanest people I’ve encountered were in middle and high school, no contest, I think because it’s a bit of a free wheeling kind of environment. In theory there are adults there, but there’s a huge social no-no so it’s a bit fend for yourself unless you physically fight. Thus my thought that it really comes down to confidence, although it’s tough when you’re getting it everyday and you’re not in as much of a position to have lots of confidence when you’re just a student.

I think it’s because teens are wired to struggle for dominance in their pack, and so they are assholes. Yeah, we probably get a little better and handling being bullied, too, but I think it’s mostly about how much bullying goes on, and not about how well people handle it.

Junior high for me. And interestingly, some of the people who were really mean in junior high now complain on Facebook when others are mean to their kids. They just don’t understand how kids can be so cruel!!!

I’m like… do you even remember a quarter of the things you used to say to the awkward boy with bad acne and a lot of problems at home?

2 Likes

This. I think being a huge asshole is more rewarding for children than it is for adults, unless you’re running for president.

You’re actually Facebook friends with these people? No way I would be. Do you actually say that or just think it? I’d say it and probably get unfriended.

This chick I went to college with and knew she was ms popularity in high school complained on fb about her kids being bullied and also claimed kids were much nicer in her day. I told her, no they weren’t at all, you were just popular. I can’t remember if that’s why she unfriended me or due to my reply to some other stupid thing she said.

Have you dealt with senior management?

This is like peak Facebook superiority feelings, when you’re a lot more successful than your middle/high school bully.

:laughing: well said, but probably a safe bet as to the cause

I meant i called her out on stupid things she said a few times, so I can’t remember if that was the exact incident she unfriended me over, but I know it annoyed her as did the other times.

ignoring stupid shit on fb or the internet in general isn’t my strong suit.