Attack on Nancy Pelosi's husband

given that the republican party tried to subvert democracy on jan 6th, I think they all deserve the death penalty.

democracy is sacrosanct.

1 Like

i really enjoy the daily bad faith arguing and high quality false equivalence work of cspan. it is top notch.

5 Likes

We need CSPAN to represent the lie-supporting and hate-filled MAGA half of the Republican party, to remind the 2? 3? remaining Republican actuaries here that it’s a real thing. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I think it is a shame when people try to tragedize their politics.

1 Like

why does CSPAN try to personally attack the Pelosi family?

please reveal their identity so we can cancel them

It’s what Republicans do.

I don’t think the GOP being anti-immigrant is why we aren’t deporting the man who broke into the home of a high ranking government official and put their spouse in the hospital.

Yeah, I gave up partway through, but I thought we never deported arrested folks awaiting trial… we wait until they’re done serving whatever time they’re sentenced to (if any, which surely there will be in this case) and THEN deport them.

Why would anyone think the guy should be deported now? That’s only something you’d do if you thought breaking & entering and hitting Paul Pelosi on the head with a hammer were definitely NOT crimes.

If he was a permanent resident, he would have to be convicted of a serious crime to be deported. Aggravated assault has fallen into this category. People who overstay visas can be deported immediately without a hearing.

And neither do I. I thought the article was off base.

Sure, but if they’re awaiting trial for unrelated felony charges I think they let the trial proceed.

It’s not like you can just murder a person in cold blood and say “Oh, but I’m an illegal immigrant; please deport me back to Canada now.”

Wasn’t referring to this case in particular. You used the term never. I would bet there have been cases such as possession of a small amount of marijuana where people have been deported before their trial.

“Before” or “Instead of”?

Maybe, but I think in most cases, certainly for felonies, they have to stand trial before going home.

Then they’re supposed to be deported immediately upon being released from jail, or at the conclusion of their trial if found not guilty of all charges. But in some places there are standing instructions to not cooperate with ICE. Which could end up being relevant in Paul Pelosi’s attacker’s case.

I think I have actually heard of times when after conviction and sentencing they have been deported with the agreement from the other country that they will serve their sentence in a prison there.

1 Like

One situation where that happens is when a Canadian is convicted of a crime in the US which is not a crime in Canada: typically that might be a drug-related offence. The offender is permitted to serve his sentence in a Canadian prison if the offender, the US and Canada ALL agree. Of course, the attack on Mr. Pelosi doesn’t fall into this category.

I’m sure there are other cases too. Law & Order had an episode where a Jewish murderer was allowed to serve his sentence in Israel. (And if it’s on TV it must be true!)

I assume all parties must agree to such arrangements on a case-by-case basis. I was just highlighting SOP which I believe defaults to serving the sentence where the crime is committed.

I expect the Law & Order episode was a take on the Sheinbein case. Due to Israeli law at the time, Sheinbein’s extradition was denied and he was instead tried and convicted in Israel (where he served his time until dying in 2014 in a shootout with guards in an Israeli prison). The extradition agreement has since been changed, and the circumstances that prevented his extradition would (likely) no longer apply; however if you are an Israeli national with domicile in Israel (which would not have applied to Sheinbein) then extradition from Israel would be contingent on any sentence being served in Israel.

Nancy pelosi is stepping down as head of the dems in the house as a result of this assault. They should like maybe consider providing the next person in this spot better protection including their spouse and home when they arent around. Otherwise who would even want this gig?