Attack on Nancy Pelosi's husband

Both are pretty bad, IMO.

I’ve just moved 21 posts about the attack on Kavanaugh to their own thread, as they really aren’t relevant to this one, and it was getting hard to follow the discussion.

2 Likes

@Lucy This post belongs in the other thread then as you moved the post that I was responding to.

Sorry. As i said, it was hard to follow. The way this site moves posts, if i move it now it will end up at the bottom of the page. It’s short, i suggest you repost it yourself, as that’s actually easier than moving posts.

2 Likes

:rofl:

So this DePape guy is an undocumented alien. Entered from Mexico into CA in 2008 and never left. So ICE has issued a detainer on him. But since he is in CA, they local officials don’t cooperate with ICE/DHS on that right? Not that I expect him to get a release before trial, conviction/plea bargin and sentence, so the detainer is a non-issue, right?

I think the detainer would apply to whenever he is released.

So say he’s convicted of stuff and serves X years as a result. The detainer says they’re supposed to notify ICE before he’s released so they can get him.

I think whether that happens will depend on where he’s convicted and where he serves time. He’s facing both state and federal charges. If he serves time for both concurrently in a federal facility or he serves first in state and then in federal then I assume the feds will notify ICE before releasing him.

But if he serves only in a CA facility or first federal and then CA then I think they are not supposed to notify ICE.

However, if ICE figures out when he is to be released I suppose they could position agents at the prison exit and apprehend him as he leaves.

Don’t send DePape back to Canada: good riddance! Also seems pointless as we would be happy to extradite him back to the US for his trial.

I can’t wait to spend $30K+/year of my and others’ tax dollars to incarcerate this guy long-term!

That’s not how it works… he would be deported AFTER he serves his time.

There is a Transfer of Offender agreement between the US and Canada under which this guy could theoretically serve some or all of his sentence in Canada. However I can’t see Canada accepting this guy so I appreciate the US paying for his care in prison.

1 Like

Interesting. TIL.

Yes he’s apparently an illegal immigrant living in a sanctuary city/state, but is it really relevant? It’s a shame that people politicize these tragedies. I don’t recall President Trump giving a primetime nationally televised speech about the extremely dangerous Nazi/bigot/fascist rhetoric and vilifying the left after Steve Scalise was shot by a crazy Bernie Bro back in 2017. Meanwhile, crazy Pelosi attacker had zip ties, so it’s basically January 6th again and Biden goes on national primetime TV to essentially tell us that voting for Republicans is a threat to Democracy!

I would be highly uncomfortable if my preferred political party were constantly grandstanding on the back of various tragedies. This doesn’t seem to bother everyone, though, and sometimes I wonder if people subconsciously root for tragedies to help their political narratives.

2 Likes

I don’t remember anything like this with the Scalise incident either. I might have missed it though.

https://twitter.com/noliewithbtc/status/1588308316044001281?s=46&t=r-rmgl6VALxCk9BnDRmzfg

1 Like

Ya, donald trump is all class all the time.

3 Likes

this is very wrong!

they don’t do it subconsciously

5 Likes

I would agree but the US has changed in the past 60 years. Everything now gets politicized it seems. Many events that would not get politicized in other countries become polarizing issues in the US. We are not free of this trend in Canada but at least there are still many things here that don’t get politicized and/or have all-party support (eg abortion, universal healthcare, etc.)

This is not an anti-American diatribe but rather a lament.

2 Likes

Good people,on both sides

1 Like

Yes, exactly, we’ve been keyed up since Jan 6th. Which is the day that Republicans were actually a threat to Democracy. And I’m not talking about the insurrection there, but congress itself doubting the election.

We will probably make similar speeches about MAGA terrorism until Jan 6th is farther in the past, and Trump loses power over the people, and over Congress.

If Republicans just did damn their job and dumped Trump and the Big Lie on his ass, then we wouldn’t have this concern. But as it stands, millions of people still support Treason, and Republican congress still flirts with it.

4 Likes

I think it is a crude misunderstanding to say these are politicized. Instead, I think people get mixed up between personal experience and evidence.

News is fast now, often filmed first person. Superficially it is evidence, because it is factual, but it doesn’t have the context to function that way. Instead it becomes art, communicating a personal story that can help understand personal experience. This attack would make a great way to understand the danger of trump’s violent rhetoric, for example. That attack shows how vulnerable women can be to rape in our society, etc. Unfortunately real life, with all the facts, don’t work as neatly as people want them too.

However, I don’t think it is usually done cynically. It is interested in criticizing those in power against a norm greater than the state, or a personality.

Trump’s acceptance speech pretty much was nazi rhetoric, saying he was the only one who could fix the broken world. He had already began establishing his cult of personality, eventually culminating in his lie about the election, and setting himself up as the only source of truth.

Trumps statements are done cynically, to advance his personal power and glory. It is much much worse.

1 Like