AOC: Pros and Cons

I think she’d have to be CONvicted, eh?

ok, I’m convinced

I’m glad we connect on some level.

I concur

This is entirely misinformation. You can drive past the dozens of miles of tracks by Fresno and huge stations. They even have a site that shows the current projects and what will come soon. Why do you blatantly lie about this?

Hello new person who’s never posted before.

You seem to have me mistaken for someone who writes for The Guardian. I didn’t lie about anything; I posted an article that I had no reason to believe was inaccurate. That’s not lying.

If you think that the article I posted is wrong, feel free to refute any points made in it. I have not driven up & down the state of California climbing up on constructed overpasses such as the one pictured to verify they contain no track. Sorry if I gave the impression that I had.

I’d also point out that it’s from May, so obviously any progress made in the last 6 weeks is not accounted for.

@Purple_Jak where can I read about the tracks that have been laid and the huge stations that are completed?

Are you sure you’re not confusing the right-of-way construction with actual tracks? The article seems to get a lot of its facts from the 2022 business plan which makes no mention of completed track. In fact they discuss a potential partnership with a company that will lay track.

Perhaps there’s no need for the trailer. If weight is the problem, the capacity of the main battery could be reduced to 100 miles and additional swappable batteries could be placed in battery compartments in the back/front of the vehicle to get the extra 200/250 miles.

That would be comparable with ICE - requiring a change every 200/250 miles to swap out the swappable batteries in under 5 minutes (perhaps even charging up the main battery if a longer stop).

If just traveling locally, one could leave out the swappable batteries to lessen the weight.

Brief google search gave me this linkCa hsr. Sure doesn’t look like there is track, and looks like a long way to go. Geotechnical work starting in Bakersfield per end of Summer 2022 uodate on youtube.

Yeah, it is a major boondoggle that needs to be stopped ASAP.
I’m anti-costs too much, not anti-mass transit

There seem to be many projects in the works, but i can’t find a single station under the active or completed projects sections on buildhsr.com. Do you have any links to back up what you say?

Good luck with that. The only track I’ve seen in Fresno is the quarter mile long concrete raised track that’s at the exit to my son’s place. If there’s miles more they hide them well.

Though admittedly I don’t ride around Fresno looking for it so it could just be places we haven’t gone.

Is there actual track or just bridges & viaducts? The image below is a viaduct that will theoretically one day have track on it, but currently (to the best of my knowledge) does not.

Why A Duck?

Own the book

1 Like

IDK. I image the track itself is probably the easy part and arguing about whether or not the actual track is there is being pedantic. The land acquisition then the “bridges, viaducts and stations” is likely most of the hard part. Laying the actual track probably comes last. But I’m not an engineer. I suppose I could ask my daughter.

But yeah I think that might be the actual stuff I’ve seen.

That said, the way high speed rail is being done in CA seems a bit batshiat crazy to me so I’m probably not the best to try and defend it.

the fact that CA can’t get a HS rail complete is hilarious to me. It’s mostly empty lands. Seems super easy.

Almost every single Asian country has HS rail, and they all had to carve through numerous mountain ranges, with earthquakes occurring every other second, with population densities highest in the world.

Fixed that for you. Other countries merely take land and make their train routes.

Also, there are plenty of hills most easterners would consider mountains in the way.
The direct route, following The 5, would go from LA at 300’ elevation, over a 4100’ pass, then a steep drop down The Grapevine to the town of Grapevine at 1500’.
This was proved to be untrackable, so through Tehachapi it will go, which, while only at 3900’ and a milder incline, is also a good 40 miles out of the way, though it is a better alternative for the eventual hookup to the Las Vegas HSR (which is never coming, either).
A tunnel would run straight through the San Andreas Fault.

Sounds like something a LYING LIAR would say.

2 Likes

I prefer aqua ducks.

Well I didn’t write the article, I will again remind readers. I’m just saying that it doesn’t appear that the “not one mile of track” part is a lie. (And if it is, I was not the author of said lie.)

Being from Cincinnati, which has miles of subway tunnels dug and several stations built - all abandoned almost 100 years ago, I can say definitively that partially completed is very different from completed.

1 Like