AOC: Pros and Cons

WTF is THAT?

If it weren’t capped I would guess part of a major aqueduct. Something for CERN?

I think for either, you probably want a trailer that will run all day, and then plan to exchange it for a charged one the next day. I imagine it’s pretty easy to plug and unplug a trailer.

Is this supposed to say “exchange” where it says “season”? (I’m envisioning Lucy sprinkling salt & pepper on her trailer.)

I would assume it would be easier to charge the trailer wherever you happen to be than go to the nearest Uhaul & exchange one. I mean either way is possible, but I’d think charging it would be a better business model for Uhaul to promote as that places fewer restrictions on where you can take it.

Assuming the current UHaul locations? Or that UHaul is the only place I’m pitching this (stolen by the French) idea?

I’d like to think that anyone could manufacture the trailers, making sure the standardized hitch and plugs are included, but the trading-in of the trailers by motorists will happen along the interstates, where charging stations should already be, maybe by companies that are not the manufacturers. “Blue Rhino” is a brand of propane tank, but they sell/trade these everywhere, and I’m not even sure they actually manufacture the tanks.
Think that model and not “UHaul.”
The goal here is to make supplying one’s EV with more electricity more efficiently than the current (heh) “wait for an in-service pump to be available, then wait 30 minutes or more for the charge.”
Whether the trailer can handle high speeds might be an issue. And there will be tires to replace…
OK, a trailer that you own (including those tires), but the battery it’s hauling is replaceable!

Twig visiting in-laws, after the carbon tax.

lololol

*no malintent towards twig here

Yes, fixed. But i like the idea of salting and peppering you auto accessories.

I really don’t like having anything external to the vehicle when traveling. Roof carriers, bike racks, etc. A trailer for a battery would seem like an annoying work around.

Well, I like the trailer idea. I think it could work as an exchange, but I think it would work better as a rental.

Because I think people wouldn’t want to cope with storing the trailer most of the time. My current house has a tiny garage and my assigned parking space in my old condo would absolutely positively prohibit such a thing and there wouldn’t have been space anyway… especially if they ever add charging stations to all the parking spaces. And even on vacation I wouldn’t want to deal with the trailer on the non-driving days. It’s radically different from propane that way.

Just my opinion. You obviously disagree and that’s fine.

Yeah, it would be annoying which is why you’d only want to have it on days you need it. It’s annoying to drive with and annoying to store.

Is that a windmill blade?

I read an article a few weeks ago on the environmental impact of disposing of those… they’re a hassle too.

None taken.

Yup. And the next generation is going to be about twice that long.

1 Like

This has been a crazy tangent thread. There’s not too much AOC content here.

1 Like

Of course there is.

Just leave it inside your hotel room.
I have a solution for everything!
(Oh, by the way, I was BEing sarCASTIC.)

I think we agree more than you think (thus we disagree on how much we agree). This would not be the ONLY solution to extending range on cars. Just the only one I’ve thought of recently (which, again, the French time-traveled to the future, stole my idea from here, and then went back in time).
Yes, the storing of such a device is a small matter (ions! I’m a riot!) But, again, take it to the Charging Trade station, use the smaller charging of the car (be sure to charge the car with your trailer before turning it in) for the short trips at a stop, then rent one for the next leg of the trip.
All reserved ahead of time, in my fantasy world. I’m also thinking that future cars wouldn’t need a 300-mile range with a shit-ton of these trailers around. They’d be lighter for the 90% of MOST people’s use, but still with a strong engine so they could haul the trailer for those longer trips.

Pros:

Cons:

1 Like

She’s pretty much 100% pro(gressive) and 0% con(servative), right?

3 Likes

after yesterday’s arrest, is she officially a Con?

4 Likes