Ao fan's office furniture thread

I recently bought an L shaped couch for my living room and was struck by the variety of firmnesses after sitting on roughly a hundred different couches at furniture stores. Some of those couches just seem utterly unpleasant to sit on, while others practically eat you. A bit like the three little bears I suppose.

yeah, apparently office chairs are supposed to be firm.

now sitting on it for hours and it hurts yet again. i’m gonna power through and not gonna return it. it’s obviously a “me” problem here.

does the firmness get less so as you use it?

googling it, and it says that soft chairs promote bad posture, so it’s bad for you in the long-term, thus office chairs are firm. I might just not be used to sitting on an office chair for hours anymore since I haven’t really done that since last March. If 2 office chairs seem too firm, it’s gotta be a me problem.

Yeah, we were couch shopping in 2020. The firmness test was basically ‘can I get out of this thing after thanksgiving dinner and 3 beer?’. Not all passed the test.

1 Like

Snagged a $978 Steelcase chair for $135, quite happy over it. Know a guy who works in a warehouse, had a clearance sale.

which specific steelcase line?

i almost bought a steelcase leap. i really like the flow of the way the seat moves with you when you recline.

decided on the haworth fern instead, mostly because i have a haworth zoddy at work which had served me well.

It’s essentially this chair, just not the gaudy color.

https://www.amazon.com/Steelcase-442A40-5S17-Gesture-Tangerine/dp/B016OIEXE0

I’m not sure I’d pay $1,000 for it today unless I expect to be permanent WFH, but for $135… no-brainer.

ah, the gesture. that’s their supposed top chair. i liked the leap a little better though.

yeah, $135 is a great deal. i didn’t get a deal on my chair at all.

@ao_fan , do you have a desk that goes up and down? Curious to look into getting one for myself so I sit fewer hours of the day…

I have an uplift desk. I’m a fan, but i mostly use it to have it adjusted perfectly to my seated height rather than to stand while using it. It would be great for that too though.

1 Like

Thanks!!

My husband has an uplift desk, too. It’s perfect for what it’s supposed to be. He intended it as a sit/stand desk, but I’m fact he’s decided he likes to stand. So he doesn’t move his much, either. But it doesn’t have bits that go where you want your legs, or sharp corners, and it looks nice. And it’s very sturdy.

1 Like

we had those in the office and I had one at my previous home. let’s just say…I barely use it.

It’s good for sitting exactly ergonomically correctly as just having an adjustable chair won’t do it. but for actually standing while i work? nah, i’ll just get up and walk around the room instead.

Is it naive then the notion that I’d actually stand half the day or so? When my wife saw me perusing the website she laughed at me and said I’ll probably do it for a week and then stop…

:person_shrugging: you know better than we do as to what you will wind up doing. I still like the desk a lot.

When we all had sit/stand desks in the office, most people left them always up or always down. And most people didn’t have any real desire to move them around. But there were a few people who moved them every day. If switching between up and down every day is something that matters to you, you may well do it. That’s not something any of us are in a position to judge.

Anyway, you need a desk, and both ao_fan and my husband like it a lot.

We bought a basic adjustable height desk at the very start of covid for a spare room, and then a second one from Costco about a year ago. Both were less than $300, and appear to be the same manufacturer. They are both sturdy and the mechanism to change height is very smooth. It has a digital height reading on it so you can position it at a certain level each time you move it.

I mounted a power strip under the bottom of the desk to plug everything in. I want to figure out a way to hang my laptop under it as well so i can keep a clean look on the desktop.

I take it you don’t use the screen or keyboard on your laptop?