Ao fan's office furniture thread

aaah, yeah, that’s my plan right now. I like my chair at work, so I’m likely gonna buy it, BUT this manufacturer happens to have a showroom that’s like a mile away from my apartment, so why not try it first just in case it’s changed since I got my office chair. Also, they have other lines that I can try while there.

Agree, it becomes work to go to all these chair showrooms. That’s why I’m hoping it ends with Haworth, which I know is also not a top rated chair, and I know that the construction of it means it will likely fall apart, but it might be the best I can do for me.

went to the haworth store. now i’m considering their most expensive one :grimacing:

Fern Office Chair – Haworth Store

but it is cheaper than the aeron.

That’s wild. I’ll spend whatever I want on my home office but I’ve never had any problems with a 200 dollar chair from Staples. Never noticed any problems.

the problem with staples, at least with the one in manhattan is that the selection in the store itself is extremely limited. online, they have a much larger selection, but i couldn’t try before i buy. the selection in the store is terrible here.

also, the Fern online version that’s not customized doesn’t have that added lumbar support. not sure i need it or not, and it doesn’t have forward tilt. also not sure if i need it or not. if i customize the chair to have these things, it’s way more expensive. not that these specific features are expensive, just that i’d have to go with the custom option itself, and customizing has a base price that’s already more expensive than the ready to go option.

not sure if i try and talk to a dealer i can get a better deal. the showroom doesn’t have dealers. i’d have to contact a specific dealer. the showroom didn’t even have anyone to explain the chair to me today. they said i’d have to come back next week for that cause everyone is on vacation. so it was just me and chairs.

might just buy it online without customizing it. getting antsy.

Eh, take your time and get what you want. Might as well be comfortable when it’s you spending the money.

i think i’m gonna try and go back monday to talk to a sales person. i was confused what the receptionist said. she said they don’t sell chairs there, but i don’t see why they have sales people if they don’t sell chairs there. i must have misunderstood. she said sales people will be there on monday.

i really really need a chair immediately.

ordered this, in black

Fern Office Chair – Haworth Store

i got it from the “store” link on their website. apparently they created that link specifically because people are now wfh and want to buy individual chairs. that’s why it is like $1000 cheaper than the custom chair option which doesn’t seem all that different. they just wanted to charge people who wfh less money than companies, otherwise nobody is gonna buy these chairs. they are too expensive at the price they charge normally.

at first i thought this chair doesn’t come with the additional lumbar support option in the “store” section, but then saw there was the same chair, but with that option. but i went to their showroom yesterday to try the chairs again and asked the guy who works there about that thinking i couldn’t get the lumbar support and he claims that the chair really does not need it and they just throw that in because companies want it, and it actually makes the chair LESS comfortable. that seemed reasonable, so when i got home and realized that for only like $40 more I could get that option, I opted out of it. hopefully made the right call. the one with the additional support has no reviews, so i think they added that later when people complained.

got the chair. i wish it was like a half an inch lower. i’m NOT returning another chair. i just ordered a foot rest off amazon. hopefully that solves this issue.

in the store, i was thinking the same thing, it’s good, but a half an inch lower would be better. the sales person convinced me i was wrong. pretty sure he was wrong. if this issue is easily solved with a foot rest, then i guess it’s fine though. i don’t know why these chairs discriminate against average heighted women. i’m not that short.

Use the balance board as a foot rest.

1 Like

just switched to that from the standing mat. might be a little bit more comfortable than the standing mat :+1:

not particularly sturdy since it sways from side to side and it seems to shift forward on the hardwood floor, so i think what i ordered from amazon will be better once i get it.

I have it somewhat out in front of me, and cross my ankles on it, which makes it not wiggle a lot, but props my feet slightly higher.

it’s more the sliding forward that’s not great than the wiggling. i can deal with it until friday when i get a better option though. i really like the adjustability of the arms on this chair. i can rest my arms on it the entire time i’m typing. couldn’t do that on the aeron. i think this function of angling the front of the arm all the way in is meant to be used with a phone, but it’s great with a keyboard.

1 Like

Congrats! A comfy chair really makes a home office nicer.

1 Like

found something a little better. the failed seat cushion i bought for the aeron that didn’t work with it at all makes a decent foot rest. it clings to the floor. that board thing doesn’t cling to the floor, so it wasn’t great.

1 Like

one thing that slightly annoys me is when i rock back in the chair and go to put it back up, it’s slightly less than a perfectly smooth transition. i’m being picky with that though.

also the arms are a bit too hard. the aeron had softer arms.

also would prefer the seat to be softer, but seems like office chairs just are not that soft in general.

When I had an old office chair re-upholstered, the guy swapped out the disintegrating old foam with new foam. It’s soft. Too soft. Office chairs should be firm. I ended up buying a new chair because the old one became too soft.

I recently bought an L shaped couch for my living room and was struck by the variety of firmnesses after sitting on roughly a hundred different couches at furniture stores. Some of those couches just seem utterly unpleasant to sit on, while others practically eat you. A bit like the three little bears I suppose.