Annoyed Thoughts--Other Drivers Edition

When I started driving, flashing your brights meant either the other car had their brights on or there was a cop up ahead and slow down.

I have the same issue with my lights. They won’t turn off, so I get flashing the brights, but would you do it once, twice? How many to signify a bad headlight? Do you also flash lights when they don’t have theirs on and it is clearly dark enough to need them?

Same signal each time.
I once had a car with pop-up lights, and I wanted to configure them so I could pop up only one of them at a time, but this was before the internet.

Meanwhile, over on gomakeup.com, a post has been made to their insignificant signals thread.

3 Likes

Oh, that’s a daily (nightly?) occurrence for me…I think it has more to do with “automatic “ lights being turned off and then forgotten to be turned back on.

Also, I’ve seen it from two cop cars as well. I wrote them a ticket but they just told me where to go file it.

1 Like

Yea I see so many cars with no lights these days. Pay attention, people!

Check out this guy. NSFW due to a middle finger.

1 Like

I love the headlight wink

DTNF mentioned the wink and that reminded me of the clip.

Since we don’t have a “Pedestrian edition” I’ll leave this here:

Driving up my street going 24 MPH… speed limit is 25. Lady is walking her dogs, which are out in the middle of the street. I pulled ALL the way over so my car is basically 100% in the oncoming lane, but whatever, no one is coming and it’s not a busy street or anything.

She angrily gives me the slow down signal and yells at me to slow down.

Uh lady., I’m already going UNDER the speed limit… maybe don’t let your dogs walk in the middle of the road when a car is coming!!!

6 Likes

You could have slowed down to match the pace of the dogs. Then she might have told you to hurry up.

People who don’t pull up the the stop line at intersections. Especially when the lines are well away from the intersecting roadway.

Why do people do that? Are they afraid an automobile will come careening through the shoulder and clip the car?

And I’m not talking about two or three feet shy of the line, but like a full car’s length.

If they are at an intersection with pads under the street that trigger the light-switching mechanism that someone is waiting, they’ll never go anywhere.

Pull up to the line. If you think you are waiting too long, you back up a few feet. If someone is behind you, they we be on the plates.

Some people stay 12 feet shy of the line on the main roads where there are no sensors.

it just irritates me

Well now I’m “one of them”. Had my car serviced on Friday, hadn’t driven in the dark until this morning and I’m driving down the road with no lights on. Thanks to a fellow driver who got my attention and let me know. Why the heck did they turn off my lights?

2 Likes

Two lane roundabout near me. Guy decides to take a straight line going from the right lane to the left lane back to the right… while I am in the left lane right next to, but slightly behind him. If I hadn’t been paying attention and slammed on my brakes he just would have run me right into the center circle.

1 Like

I think you should need to prove your ability to correctly negotiate a roundabout to get / renew your license. Not knowing how to drive in one should be disqualifying from possessing a valid driver’s license. If the state is going to allow the roundabouts to go in, it’s their responsibility to ensure that they are safe.

It’s a one time thing. Required for all initial licenses issued on or after 2/1/2023. If you are renewing your license on or after that date you either prove you passed the roundabout test in the past (DMV will track it on your license, just like your address and whether you are an organ donor) or you must pass the roundabout test in order to renew your license.

(Another option would be a statewide ban on roundabouts. That’s actually my preference but seems rather less workable.)

If it’s not part of the process, it should be. Everyone has a roundabout story, I once saw someone go through backwards, and this summer someone tried to kill me on my scooter by not yielding.

I actually do like roundabouts, they seem to at least lessen the severity of crashes, but people need to get it together. This isn’t that hard, people!!!

1 Like

My area had few roundabouts 20 years ago, but they have been installing quite a few lately. In almost every instance, traffic flow is improved. One also greatly improved pedestrian safety by the way they designed it. Because drivers aren’t as familiar with roundabouts, I agree that often people don’t know wtf they are doing.

While most new roundabouts have been welcome improvements to me, they really screwed up when they installed one near me. It’s right by a busy highway entry/exit, and maybe 7 car lengths from a traffic light with the highway on ramp. Traffic can back up at the light extending into the roundabout. Seems like a horrible design, and I have no idea why they would put it there.

1 Like

I looked out my living room window to see my neighbour scream out of her driveway!!! :face_with_peeking_eye:

:iatemoji:

1 Like