Alyssa's FAQ

So how are you feeling?

I was pretty close to fully recovered by a couple of days after Christmas — in pretty good shape now other than working off the 10 lbs I put on from 2 weeks of not leaving the house lol.

But better, mentally? Seems like structurally things have changed quite a bit. I thought perhaps you’d be relieved or lighter or something.

The mental part is a work in progress. The hormonal swings were wild for 3 weeks or so, and that seems to be settling down finally. It’s great not suffering the consequences of the anti-androgen medications anymore, and knowing my body isn’t fighting my identity any more is awesome.

But dysphoria is a many headed snake, and there has been some rough points, including losing a friend over being trans and because “I’m too political” because I posted an article about the stupid British author and why I don’t spend money on the wizard franchise anymore.

It’s it getting better, I think, and I’m starting to research my breast augmentation (which I think I’m going to try to squeeze in this year instead of waiting until after GCS) and have I have to start the paperwork for the gender confirmation surgery soon, as it has a 14-15 month lead time right now, and due to work responsibilities and recovery time the best time for me to do it is May-June. Hopefully as I keep seeing the changes I want, the mental part stabilizes a bit more.

4 Likes

UWaterloo reddit sub posted some stuff about trans folks (the school has an lgbtq+ club that I think is pretty active), I responded with a suggestion to follow you on twitter. Which led me to scrolling through your twitter feed. Are you coming to Canada this year?

Hey thanks!

We were hoping to come to Hamilton for the US-Canada soccer match on the 30th, but that’s feeling unlikely. Other than that, just the normal visit to my in-laws in the Eastern Townships.

Well if that changes, dm me.

1 Like

I have a consultation scheduled for March 11th for my breast augmentation. I’m interested to see how this goes – I’m like 90% sure my voice passed to I don’t think the office realized I’m transs

3 Likes

This is a weird thing to say, and i hope it’s not offensive, but you “sound” more feminine in print, too, imo. I can’t say why, and maybe it’s just me.

1 Like

I’m curious what these voice lessons are like. I’ve always hated my voice, can voice lessons help?

1 Like

It’s not just you, and thank you. :slight_smile:

It’s been a bit of a conscious effort to choose my written words more carefully, although it is becoming a little more natural. I still find myself editing my thoughts a little more thoroughly that I used to,.

My lessons were specifically gender affirming, and so focused on pitch, resonance, and other minor details (softening my ds and ks for example). But I’m pretty sure a trained voice coach could focus on any quality of your voice you hate.

1 Like

Nope. Not just you, and not just since the phsyical transitioning. I’m not going to figure out why I have preconceptions like that, but I certainly do.
There’s a bunch of posters I assume are of a specific gender, but I don’t actually know.

the mansplain gives it away probably

I wonder if trans men work on more actively mansplaining

This is next Friday, but everything going on has me feeling so defeated and frightened, I barely want to go. I’m sure I will, and maybe on the day of I’ll work up some excitement about it because my lack of breasts has been a major source of dysphoria since HS, but we’ll see. It’s so hard to be excited for a future that may not even exist.

Whelp – unexpected Friday pick-me-up as my surgeon’s office just called and despite it usually being a 4 month wait to get a GCS consultation, this girl has one set up for April 7th.

8 Likes

Very happy for you! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1 Like

Busy next few months:

April 1st - Alyssa’s first mammogram
April 7th - GCS Consultation
May 16 - Pre-op meeting with BA surgeon
June 6 – Surgery date!

2 Likes

Imagine looking forward to a mammogram. :wink: They’ve gotten better, apparently the machine now has a safety built in so it can’t crush you beyond some safe amount of pressure. And there are even non-crushing 3D imaging ones, now, although i haven’t gone to a place that has them, yet.

Welcome to the club, though. :grinning_face:

I just had a mammogram last week. Not to bad.

2 Likes