Alyssa's FAQ

Family is good — oldest had soccer camp this week, and they both have sailing camp for the next 2 weeks, so keeping busy!

I’m frustrated by my face constantly being sore. Especially the last couple of days where the nerve endings in my chin are starting to coming back to life and so it’ll be like 12-16 hours of pins and needles in some areas.

I was curious if you’re happy and content with the results. The dysphoria you talked about was for me the most mind blowing thing you’ve talked about. Seems life altering if that’s gone.
I’m guessing that right now results are out as you probably look like you went three rounds with Mike Tyson.

So far, yes, but there is a lot of swelling to go away yet. But my profile pic that I got taken when the nose cast was very affirming and made me feel good about the direction it is headed in.

2 Likes

I did post a photo on the trans surgery subreddit because there isn’t much info on the subreddit about my surgeon, so I’m trying to put photos on there to help future people there.

If you want to see a before and after (somewhat bruised) Alyssa in profile, it’s here: Reddit - Dive into anything

2 Likes

Wow! That’s a lot of work. You must feel like your face was hit with a truck.

The new profile does look very feminine. Best wishes on a speedy recovery.

Also, i think it’s really weird that reddit classified that as NSFW. It even blurred the images of your face as NSFW. They were just facial profiles and looked totally safe for work to me.

1 Like

That subreddit is NSFW as a whole (there are pictures of all trans surgeries, including breast and neo-vaginas or neo-penises, so it just auto flags all photos.

1 Like

No kidding lol. I clicked into the sub and woah.
It’s all stuff that’s appropriate for the sub, just wasn’t expecting it.

Been absent here for a long time. The plastic surgery looks good! I can see the bruising but otherwise doesn’t seem off in any way.

1 Like

It’s the 3rd anniversary of me taking estrogen today! (Also the 3rd anniversary of me starting with the hair coloring at a local salon – I started with a normal red, and it’s gone from there :slight_smile: )

The healing process is continuing well. I don’t have any more eating or activity restrictions. I still have some swelling, but that will take months to resolve fully.

2 Likes

And? You’re happy with it?
I’m interested to see the final final results. I guess at some point I’ll see it in my linkedin feed lol.

I’m going to post photos on Tuesday since I’ll have my hair cut to hide the scar and the swelling is about 85% cleared at this point. Final/final isn’t probably until Christmas time or early 2024.

1 Like

Still a fair bit of swelling in the chin area, but that’s going to take months to fully go away — here’s where it is 4 weeks in. I’m really really happy with it. My eyes feel so much more open to me, and while the forehead stuff is hidden by the bangs that are hiding the shock hair loss/incision healing, it’s a pretty amazing change as well.

It’s taking some getting use to not having a brow ridge — the shampoo runs into my eyes much easier than it used to! :slight_smile:

28 day post FFS surgery photo

Pre FFS comparison photo

3 Likes

Looks like some water damage top left corner, no?

1 Like

I think it was a trick of light or something, it doesn’t look that way in real life.

I was half kidding.
I looked at the pics for a bit like a find the differences puzzle. Everything’s different, but the only thing I can put my finger on are your eyes.
And no scars, I find that surprising.

1 Like

There is an impressive scar under the bangs. Also hidden from view on the bottom of my chin, under the nose, and behind the ears. But they’ll all fade and are in spots that you wouldn’t normally see.

And the brow ridge…they hammered away bone?

I think it’s more of a grinding, but yes. I was lucky because my frontal sinus is small, so they were able to just grind it away. Other people end up having the bone removed and replaced by a prosthetic because there is risk of sinus issues if they grind it down.

Interesting. Its the details like that, that make what you’re doing interesting and relatable. I’d no idea the specifics of what something like this entails.

I’ve been lax on updating here, mostly because I’m busy with planning the move and have a bunch of work stress, but yesterday I was on a panel at the Insure Equality summit, and it was truly an inspiring day. The people there are so passionate about making our industry a better one.

They also had an artist drawing these paintings for all the panels live. She did this in 45 minutes — it was amazing.

3 Likes