Alternate History Thread

Is that Mr. Bean?

And House!

Yeah.

I saw that Black Adder is on Prime, and had been wanting to see it, so…

It is quite funny. There is usually something Baldrick says in each episode that makes me laugh out loud.

Something I have always wondered about:
15 mil is too expensive. We’ll pass on Louisiana

Wondering who else could have bought it at the time, AND “develop” it from so far off (Europe).

My thought: Their getting no takers, we would have bought it a few months later, at a lower price. (In keeping with the theme of the thread.)

OR it becomes a bastion of French supplies and resources during the second French empire. Napoleon’s nephew conquers Europe. Eventually rest of world pushes him back and we get an early treaty of Versailles and Naziism springs up in France instead.

Catherine of Aragon and Henry VIII had a bouncing baby boy that grew up fine and healthy

Obvious impacts on the line of succession, which - who knows how that goes… (“Elizabethan” period would be called something else)

Is the UK a Catholic country today? How did relations with Ireland play out?

Yeah, he probably would have re-established ties with Rome just as his younger sister Mary actually did when she was queen. Assuming Henry VIII still goes through 5 other queens and converts the country to Protestantism before he dies… guessing his son would still convert it back.

Would Son be as brutal to Protestants as Mary was? What was behind Mary’s hatred of Protestants? Did all Roman Catholics despise Protestants to the level of thinking they deserved to be burned at the stake, or is that a twisted idea that Mary picked up from her mother or was she just uniquely bat shit crazy in her hatred of Protestants? If it was all Catholics or all children of Catherine of Aragon then we might just be trading Bloody Mary for Bloody Son. But potentially with no subsequent conversion of England back to Protestantism.

And of course, most importantly, Bloody Mary’s would now be called Bloody Son’s. (Whatever son’s name is.) Or something else altogether if Son doesn’t burn Protestants at the stake for sport.

If Son produced an heir then unification with Scotland either doesn’t happen at all or looks very different.

I may be a bit light on the details. Would ties have needed to be reestablished if they hadn’t been broken in the first place?

I specified that I was assuming that Henry VIII still would have divorced Catherine of Aragon and married wives 2-6. If he’d been so pleased that she produced a son that he was content to merely have affairs then you would be correct.

But ties were first broken when Henry VIII divorced and then re-established under (Catholic) Catherine of Aragon’s (Catholic) daughter Mary’s reign, then re-broken under (Protestant) Anne Boleyn’s (Protestant) daughter Elizabeth, who was the founder of the modern Church of England.

If not for the son-less thing I doubt he would have even tried for the divorce. There wouldn’t have been a justification, and even a king needs something as an excuse.

Fair enough.

I’m assuming the hatred between Catholics & Protestants wasn’t so severe when Henry VIII was married to Catherine of Aragon (given that Catholic Catherine had Protestant Anne as her maid of honor), but I honestly don’t know for sure.

But he had fallen in love with Anne Boleyn… and she was refusing to be his mistress. His desire to boink her may have been so strong that he would’ve pursued divorce anyway. Unclear.

New topic!

Change: Constantine loses the Battle of the Milvian Bridge

Maybe if Maxentius had taken swimming lessons.

I’m not all that concerned with how he lost.

I’m curious about ideas of how history would have been different if he had lost (including changes to the modern world, if anything significant).

For example, does Christianity crawl out of the gutter and still take over the western world?

New topic! (@soyleche I think anyone can propose a new topic, right?)

Change: Republican primary has superdelegates in 2016.

1 Like

IMO: The early split would be between Jeb Bush and Marco Rubio making the two of them the front-runners in the Republican primary. Rubio most likely wins the primary and carries Florida and Ohio, but does NOT carry PA, MI or WI and Hillary Clinton wins.

Merrick Garland gets a seat on the SCOTUS. Clinton gets blamed for Covid and loses re-election to… ???