Actuarial Chess Club

The 1100’s is the right spot for me, I think.

How do you guys actually play? Is there a website or app that you use?

We play on chess.com or the chess.com app. These are daily (correspondence) games where you have up to 3 days to make a move, and you are allowed to use vacation (time off should you decide to take a break from your games). When you play, you will have access to an analysis tool where you can literally work out the moves before you actually submit a move to play. You are allowed to use tools such as opening databases (chess dot com provides a master database that contains all games played by titled players, but is limited to the first few moves for non-paying members), chess books, instructional Youtube videos such as Gothamchess’ videos that cover openings and defenses or chess principles (e.g Traxler Counterattack where he discusses how White can get mated pretty quickly), Wikipedia, instructional videos on how to perform various checkmates, etc. What is not allowed is using a tablebase (a tool that solves chess if there are <8 pieces on the board), an engine (where you set up your position on something like Stockfish), anal beads, etc.

For example, if your current game involved a Philidor position in queen vs rook endgame, you aren’t allowed to put it in the engine but reviewing videos that cover this position on chess dot com and Youtube are perfectly fine.

Other things of note: If you want games to speed up by “pre-moving” in a daily game, you can set conditional moves that will trigger in response to your opponent making a move you predicted. One of the players I play with here plays the Dragon, so if I feel like it I’ll pre-move up to move 8 or 9. Other instances where conditional moves can be used could be obvious exchanges of pieces. Of course pre-moving is not mandatory.

OK. Respectfully, I decline to participate. I don’t have patience for that kind of format. I was figuring these were online games with like a 10 or 15 minute time limit, which I could work with. Perhaps this is what keeps me from ever developing beyond the 1200’s. That plus I cannot really ever see things more than 2 moves ahead.

Totally understandable. Some of these tournaments can take quite some time. For me personally I find daily games are really good for working on the opening phase of my chess game.

:laughing:

I’d like to do chess tournament as bearaki instead of AKI Al

1 Like

Oh, it will be nice to not be screwed already after 5 moves.

I did not know that.

from Imgflip Meme Generator

2 Likes

When you’re in a daily game, click on the compass looking icon.

@1695814 are you willing to move back up to B? C is too crowded right now…9 people at the moment.

I’m willing to do whatever it takes to make this easier for you.

1 Like

@MayanActuary after finishing 2nd in the 1st round last year’s Chess dot com Daily Championship tourney, I just got a respectable 21 points out of 22 in this year’s tourney and will at the minimum tie for 1st. Stoked to advance to the next round.

2 Likes

Nice! I recently managed to blunder away TWO EXTRA QUEENS and lose against the Mr. Grumpers Cat bot (rated 1200), so if that doesn’t qualify me for Group D, I don’t know what would.

Everyone has joined, so figured I’d start the tournament early by a few days. Good luck everyone!

2 Likes

in related news, I just got all 5 of today’s puzzles correct on the first try! Up over 1800 in puzzles. Now if I could just translate some of that +900 differential between puzzles and actual games into my tournament activities…

I defeated Bearaki in our match. Good game, Bearaki.

[Event “Online Game”]
[Site “Chess.com iPhone”]
[Date “2023.01.22”]
[Round “?”]
[White “bearaki”]
[Black “actuaryman”]
[Result “0-1”]
[FEN “rnbqkbnr/pppppppp/8/8/8/8/PPPPPPPP/RNBQKBNR w KQkq - 0 1”]
[WhiteElo “399”]
[BlackElo “1679”]
[Termination “actuaryman won by resignation”]

1.e4 c5 2.f4 d5 3.exd5 Qxd5 4.Nc3 Qd8 5.h3 e6 6.Nf3 Nc6 7.Bb5 Bd7 8.a4 a6 9.Bc4 Nd4 10.O-O Nf6 11.b3 Bd6 12.Ba3 Qc7 13.Nxd4 cxd4 14.Bxd6 Qxd6 15.Ne2 Qc5 16.Kh1 Bc6 17.Bd3 Qh5 18.Nxd4 Qxh3+ {0-1}

ETA i’m not sure how to link directly to the game from the app.

Oh, wait, now that everybody is on chess.com, I probably don’t have to report on this at all. :sweat_smile: welcome to the modern age!

5 Likes

I have not been but I think people will appreciate knowing what happened. I think that you can just post a link to the game too.

Lost a careless one in 11 moves already. So that was fun.