Actuarial Chess Club

If people want to check out the other games in the other groups, the links to the groups are as follows:

2 Likes

My puzzle ratings vs my fast chess ratings are really irritating me right now.

My bullet and blitz ratings are 933 and 989, respectively.

My puzzles rating is 2412 (was as high as 2576). For Puzzle Rush 3 min, 5 min, Survival, my best scores are 25, 31, and 38. It’s also not like these were flukes; I do consistently get close to these scores.

Not sure if it’s an anxiety thing playing fast chess and I’m just a bit uncomfortable, as supposed to Rapid and Daily. At least in Daily, I think I’m getting close to 1600. I’ve been using the touch pad when playing, and I wonder if getting a mouse helps.

There’s a big disconnect for everyone, based on forum posts there. My puzzle solving is at 3000, my blitz is at 2000, FWIW.

Puzzle is about 500-1000 points high.

Blitz and daily vary depending on comfort. My blitz is still fairly strong (though i rarely play), but my daily has deteriorated in a major way. I may need to play some blitz to get the enjoyment back.

I would think that touch pad is too slow for bullet unless you are some kind of ninja?

I have a similar discrepancy in my puzzle/blitz rating. Mostly because puzzle is exaggerated and in part because it’s just a different game.

This is a pretty funny illustration of Chat GPT “capabilities”

ChatGPT Cheats at Chess!?

3 Likes

I just forgot we were in a tournament. Just opened the app, stared for a minute, then shrugged and picked the most provocative move on the board.

Nope, not a good idea in real chess.

1 Like

Sometimes I forget if I’m playing a game or doing a puzzle (fka tactics)

What’s your username on chess dot com?

lichess_study_dzibanches-study_chapter-1_by_Dzibanche_2023.02.26 2

I beat Devilrox (I was black) in an OTB game where i blundered a key pawn early on but then was able to take advantage of his pawn snatching to launch a massive attack.

I also played this dragon game in the same tournament

lichess_study_dzibanches-study_chapter-1_by_Dzibanche_2023.02.26

And this was one of my better OTB games this last month, again as black, vs the Grand Prix attack. If I could get my white openings down I’d feel much better, but I’m feeling really good with black vs e4 these days.

lichess_study_dzibanches-study_chapter-1_by_Dzibanche_2023.03.01

(Not sure why some gifs have white on the bottom vs black, I’m black in all three games above)

In your 2nd game, was it a mistake for your opponent to not do 7. f3 to prevent your knight from coming?

Mistake is too harsh. Theory is f3, but it’s not lost or anything to not do it. Inaccuracy probably. If I can trade off his dark square bishop and let mine run unopposed on that diagonal it’s definitely going to favor me in the long run.

Wow - chess.com is really broken.

Not even working on my PC today (or my phone)

fwiw, it’s working fine for me. When I saw this message 2-3 hours ago, I was able to access it on my phone. :person_shrugging:

Decided to play some blitz today cause, figured only way to get better at blitz is to play a lot of blitz. Played 30 games of 3 min 2 sec increment and these were my results:

20 wins, 9 losses, 1 draw. My blitz rating went from 992 to 1100. As I played more games, I became more comfortable with playing fast. My tactical knowledge was on average higher than that of my opponents, and that really helped.

I took a look at Insights for the 30 game span, and my accuracy ratings by phase were:
Openings: 86
Middlegame: 73.8
Endgame: 88

I really need to work on my middlegame, but good to see that my endgame is somewhat decent. Definitely helped me come back in some games I was theoretically losing.

Brute force and I just finished a game that ended with a double discovered check, which I thought was kind of cool.

4 Likes

And I didn’t even see it coming! Not my best game, but you did awesome! :slight_smile:

After blundering my way to being down 6 pts in a game as white, I thought I found a forced mate in 11 (or 12 or something). Turns out I didn’t, but the opponent missed a lone saving pawn move and did end up with mate in 4. That was kinda neat.

Just wanted to add that today, one of the members of the Actuarial Chess Club has officially become a titled player. Congratulations to Blampman on becoming a WCM! Diamond membership for life sounds like an awesome perk.

Hopefully she can resume playing OTB chess and get that NM title soon!

9 Likes