2023 NFL Football thread

Panthers are apparently at least entertaining the idea of trading back to recoup some picks. Lol.

https://twitter.com/NFL_DovKleiman/status/1634965224087252994?t=5EoWLtbHZ8rk7UmmMG5DyA&s=19

1 Like

“In a surprise move, the Panthers are trading the #1 pick to Chicago for the #9 pick and a future GM training session with Ryan Poles”

Falcons trade a 7th rounder for Jonnu Smith. The Falcons needed another TE, but despite plenty of cap space I am slightly surprised they wanted one at that salary. Smith was a stud when Arthur Smith was in TN and was a bust for NE, so I get why coach wanted him.

I imagine it’s effectively a 1 year deal, as I think he can be cut without a cap hit before next season.

Sports radio here was talking about the Lovie Smith win that gave the Bears, well, now two firsts, two seconds, and a WR. I don’t know how true it is, but the story today was that Lovie was looking for some support from management about his future before that last game and got none. So trying to win wasn’t a stupid move on Lovie’s part, just an f you, I don’t care from someone who already knew he was getting fired.

1 Like

correct. $0 in guarantees for 2024. for new england, it didn’t work out w jonnu. they save $4.4M (less $750K for the replacement guy), eat $12M in dead cap, and get a 7th rounder they will eventually trade.

Hearing reports the deal happened because Jonnu was willing to restructure for the Falcons. No reports yet on what that restructure might look like.

Mike Garofolo is reporting that Jimmy G is going to Da Raidas.

ETA: Schefter says three-year, $67.5 million deal, including $34 million guaranteed

That’s a reasonable QB price. IF Jimmy G can cut down on his number of “WTF throws”…

It is a reasonable price. I’m wondering if Da Raidas still draft a QB, and if Jimmy G knows the answer to that question.

Falcons sign the top FA S available and give Jessie Bates a four-year, $64.02 million deal

That is a great move by the Raiders. I would guess if they could get Richardson, they draft him and if Levis is only guy left then they trade out. He’s $16M this year and $28M cap in 2024 with $3.75M of dead money in 2025. If a rookie takes over year 2, the cost at QB is still manageable.

Still a good deal for da Raidas, but Florio is reporting his deal is higher than what Schefter indicated. He’s getting 3yr/$72.75M, and like KR said they could cut him after 2024 if they wanted to.

Tampa CB Jamel Dean gives the team a home town discount and signs a four-year, $52 million deal. He could have gotten more elsewhere for sure.

https://twitter.com/billbarnwell/status/1635382735480160256

"Raiders could have kept Derek Carr and paid him $75 million for 2023-24.

Instead, they’re paying Jimmy Garoppolo just over $48 million for those same seasons."

is the production from JGQ going to be worse than carr? he won’t play every game, we know that. but still a savings.

we will find out just how much the nfl is collectively a collusion factory though right? everyone agrees the most important position is QB. everyone knows you can’t get to the playoffs without play at a certain level. there are many QB needy teams. and lamar jackson can negotiate with anyone (starting wednesday). so…who takes a shot at this? he isn’t mahomes. so what. he’s a top half guy (at worst).

There may be collusion with Lamar. However, I think part of the current reported log jam may be due to his decision to represent himself. It certainly has led to more crazy speculation in the press, as there are no anonymous sources leaking misinformation to help his case like we often see.

If he does truly want a Deshawn Watson deal, that may knock a lot of potential suitors out. However, we don’t know that is the case. If he wants a “normal” elite QB deal, I imagine one of the needy teams will step up. Unless it’s an astronomical offer, I think BAL matches.

Atlanta signs Heinicke. It’s reportedly a 2 year deal worth “up to $20M”. I’m guessing the up to means if he starts a lot and hits incentives, but details aren’t out yet.

likely. and his lack of an agent is suboptimal, to me.

carolina traded 2-1sts, 2-2nds, and DJ moore for the chance to pick a guy they hope can be as successful as jackson has been. or they could have tried to offer jackson a deal and kept the 2-2nds and moore. i know the timing might have been delayed and made it complicated, but that’s nuts to me

I imagine they may have reached out for exactly this. They should have. Either Jackson’s asking price was too high, or what CAR was willing to offer would likely have been matched by BAL and they miss out on the chance to make a move now.

Tepper’s rep is that of being suuuuper cheap, so I agree Jackson’s price was likely enormous particularly given what was traded for the #1 spot.

2yr/14M backloaded deal where ATL can easily cut him after 1 year if they want, but if he plays a lot he can get another 6M in incentives.