2023 NFL Football thread

Raidas trade Waller to NYG for pick #100

Every team needs a Plan A, a Plan B and A Plan C at quarterback. Taylor Heinicke is a pretty decent backup to have.

It makes me wonder about what the heck “woke up” in Geno Smith. How can teams identify diamonds in the rough, especially when they have had a lack of success elsewhere? Nobody suspected Geno Smith was a pro bowl-level player a year ago.

Coaching and environment is important. Having no 1000 yard rushers or receivers for 2 years and having Metcalf, Lockett and good RBs helps. He has also watched and learned.

Carrol is obviously a good coach. Tavaris Jackson was 7-7 the year before they drafted Wilson in round 3.

2 Likes

I like this signing for the price. He has proven he can play at this level and is easy to root for.

I’m not sold on Ridder yet, but he should improve next year.

1 Like

I heard Waller demanded a trade after McDaniels leaked that Waller was getting married to the press.

I read a sneaky theory that Dan Snyder will give Lamar a fully guaranteed contract as a final FU to the other NFL owners for making him sell the team.

What is Jerry Jeudy worth?

He has had 3 average seasons at WR for Denver, but he was a high draft pick out of the mighty Alabama offense. I have to believe that Denver had hopes he would be a 1200 to 1500 yd/yr receiver, not 800.

But Cleveland seems to be making a play for him, and Denver wants 2 picks for him with only 2 years of club control on his contract? Price seems steep.

NE too allegedly.

4th yr at 2.8m
5th yr option at like 10M?
Could franchise him for 24m in 3rd yr.

So he is 1/2.8 or 2/13 or 3/33?

Etc.

He doesnt have the Jefferson or Chase numbers. He doesnt have their qbs either. So what to make of that?

The offers are allegedly 2 picks - a 2nd and maybe a 4th? I would prefer to scale that back. Maybe thats all it takes. Maybe its too much

I’ve thought that Lamar would wind up staying in BAL one way or another: franchise tag or extended. My opinion has now changed as Lamar has publicly indicated he wants to move on

Apparently just before the HC and GM said they expect to get a deal done with Lamar.

Bill B tells Pats fans to STFU and look back on the past 25 years as the best of their lives. (I’m paraphrasing, yes, but I saw his mind.)

LOL… bunch of spoiled brats :joy:

Leafs fans haven’t had a championship since 1967 so am with Belichick on this one.

1 Like

Might be because they think the Bruins will collapse, the Sox have no pitching and the Celts got a little shaky. Boston fans operate with a lot of edginess most of the time. The Pats got to be like the real estate market, reliable for all time until they weren’t. It’s fair to question whether Bill B. still has it. Sox won 4 world series in 15 years with 3 different managers. Celtics got to Finals last year and suspended the coach. Bruins on on their second coach since last Stanley Cup 12 years ago. Looks like title winners got 4-5 years with no title before getting canned. Belichick is coming to 5th.

His desire for a guaranteed contract is un realistic, especially for a guy who has NEVER played a full season. He is a running QB who takes hits from linebackers. It’s not worth betting the next 8 to 10 years of a franchise on his health.

If he holds out he is sabotaging his career and ultimately losing money.

His not having an agent is hurting him. He needs someone to talk sense to him and explain the consequences of his actions.

I too thought that he would get an extension worked out, but now he has burned a bridge with the Ravens and is forcing their hand, which means they wont get full value in return for a trade.

I see this getting uglier before a not-optimal-for-anyone solution is reached.

I don’t think he’d last that long anyway, at least all on one contract. But he’ll get his money. Not sure how much he wants, but cut it in half and that’s what he’ll get.
They can structure it so that it is the “largest contract in history,” and still cut him in four years. Then, some other team picks him up for a song (only $20M).
Oh, and wherever he signs, his contract will cut the legs off of the OL. Not sure why some QBs don’t think about this.

The signing bonus is the guarantee. He is pretty much year-to-year with a nice severance package, same as a CEO.

I agree with you, but…

Cutting him in 4 years may still come along with a year or two of “dead money” which cripples your team’s ability to compete for those years, which means you have to start a complete rebuild process in year 7. And your franchise is frickled for a decade.

Yeah, I’ve not gotten why quite a few players seem to like to do this publicly in recent years. I’d think it would reduce the likelihood a team will find a trade they think is suitable and so will ultimately hurt the chance of getting traded.

1 Like

Circle of life in the NFL, except the money ALWAYS flows in. Dealing with the owner’s ego is always an issue for a GM. Need that sweet sweet severance package.

Not as if there is pro/rel in the NFL. Merge with the NCAA, though…

That would be fun…

Sorry, Mrs McCaskey but your Bears are just not doing too well this year. Next year the will be part of the Big 10 East, and Ohio State will take their place in the NFC North. I can’t wait to see the Lions play in the Horseshoe.

And So Sorry, but you cannot sign any free agents with your own money, but maybe you can line up some NIL deals?