2023 MLB Baseball Thread

They had some good close games and got the Ohtani v Trout matchup they wanted so overall it was good for the sport.

USA Venezuela
Mexico Puerto Rico
Mexico Japan
Japan USA

Were all very competitive games with some drama late.

That Ohtani versus Trout matchup was dramatic! Too bad it was competing with March Madness and other sports for viewers.

1 Like

Madness wasn’t on last night.
I simply forgot it was on. Was it being televised?

Fox Sport 1 for WBC

A sports event doesn’t have to be televised at exactly the same time as another event to distract viewers away from an event. If someone has been watching a lot of March Madness games they may have had their fill of sports. Or if they had not been watching the games leading up to the Classic Final because of March Madness they might have not had the Final on the radar. There were also certainly several hockey and basketball games to distract viewers last night.

In any event, I doubt the Classic Final last night had a huge viewership.

1 Like

Agree. March Madness also gets a lot more media attention than the baseball competition and that affects viewers’ habits. Too bad as the Classic Final last night was a true classic.

Worldwide it was expected to be one of the most watched baseball games ever. I guess we’ll see when the final numbers are released. In the US I’d be surprised it pulled a very high share even with USA on the final.

Yes, and my previous comments only pertained to the US audience.

I would have watched it as I love baseball but there was no Canadian coverage. I don’t get Fox Sports. I can watch spring training games though but I have zero interest in those pre-season games.

Fox said 4.5 million viewers. Higher than most playoff games I think.

I am happy to be proven wrong as the final game deserved a good audience!

Counting down the days to Opening Day. More special to me than NHL or NBA openers.

1 Like

Well, the pitch clock worked, assuming that games need to be shorter (well, same level excitement (numerator) in a shorter time period (denominator)).

The pitch clock won’t shorten games if Nestor Cortes has anything to say about it…
Pitching Ninja Tweet

2 Likes

Well, he did start his windup before the clock ended… yeah, I’d like to see more of this stuff.

Well, take heart in the fact that none of the assets traded for sale became worthy of note.

My Blue Jays start the season with a 10 game road trip that starts in St. Louis and ends in California. What a brutal way to start the 2023 season.

I was thinking it was intentional because of possible snow, but there’s a dome there, isn’t there? Maybe the scheduler forgot.

At least they get it over with while the players are still fresh.

1 Like

It was poor planning. Renovations on the stadium occurring that won’t be finished until April 10 or so.

Did they change the number of games in division this year? I just checked out the White Sox schedule and it seems pretty light on in-division games. Or maybe it’s just how they’re grouped. They’re all grouped together in May and Sept. There are only 3 in-division games in April, June, and August.