2023 MLB Baseball Thread

Nettles and Rolen were nearly identical from a defensive standpoint if I remember correctly but Rolen is better offensively. If you’re going by saber stats. Both rank very high on several 3b defensive metrics but behind Brooks and Beltre as you note.

better hitter than Brooks, equal or better than Molitor (great accumulated), Santo.

surprisingly few 3B in HoF. He is not as good as all the other who played in my lifetime (Jones, Schmidt, Brett, Boggs (all no brainers) or Matthews.

Better than a half dozen from eras long ago

Orioles put pressure on State of Maryland to spend more money on the stadium that they play in. No word on “or else,” but it’s implied. That team has moved before, could easily move again.

The runner on 2nd base for extra innings is now a permanent rule change. Playoffs will not have the initial runner on base.

Not a fan.

1 Like

Meh, for regular season I don’t care, both teams get the same advantage/disadvantage in extra innings. As long as it remains out of post season play I’m fine with it.

Radical idea: ties are an OK result, as long as there is a penalty to each team for it.

https://twitter.com/BenVerlander/status/1630079156695478273?ref_src=twsrc^google|twcamp^serp|twgr^tweet

made me laugh. and drove home the new rules and why we have them. (two pickoffs within that video for a runner on 2nd)

then i wondered about Dave Roberts’s steal in the BOS vs NYY ALCS. With the 2 step off max the baseline being 4.5 inches shorter between the edges of the base - would it have been easier?

i get the “it builds drama” idea but…get on with it. then I see scherzer strike out some AAAA player in spring ball yesterday in 27 seconds total. the tv crew couldn’t even get his whole windup he was going so fast. I like the scherzer play more than the extreme downtime

I didn’t see it but heard the third out in the bottom of the 9th of a tied ball game with the bases loaded was came on the third strike being called for a batter not being in the box on time?

yes. atlanta playing boston last week.

batter started trotting to 1st when time was called and was stunned it was he who was called for not being settled in the box.

so they not only have to be in the box within so much time, they have to be settled and alert (for safety reasons).

Saw it. It was glorious. You can bet no one involved will make that mistake is a game that counts.

saw a clip yesterday of carlos correia (sp) of the twins at bat. post pitch he stepped out and started his 2022 routine, but caught himself and snapped right back into the box and got settled.

all the ticks and glove fixes aren’t good theater.

It’s not fair that all these baseball players were born that way! (with OCD) Just roll the tape from 40 years ago, and there was only one such batter with a lengthy pre-pitch routine – Mike Hargrove.

1 Like

i remember Nomar Garciaparra having a long glove adjustment routine

3 Likes

So the Red Socks found a loophole in the shift rule. Use the center fielder instead of the second baseman to play shallow right center and shift the left fielder farther toward center. With the Green Wall that will work better for them at home.

I guess it’s a loophole of sorts but any ball to LF is going to be extra bases and out side of Fenway, likely 3 bases.

I heard an interview with a catcher, who brought up that they’re likely the most affected by the pitch clock. They’re running down the line to backup throws to first, then need to beat it back in time to be set for a pitch. It’s gonna put a lot more stress on them.

1 Like

they get up to 30 seconds between batters I think. but still, sometimes it will impact them

Ouch, Edwin Diaz out for the season with torn patellar tendon in WBC post game celebration at the mound. Didn’t even look like too much crazy was going on. Tough break for Diaz and the Mets.

Didn’t feel like making a separate thread (or couldn’t find it if it exists), but the WBC semifinal game last night was amazing. Japan walked-off with a win vs. Mexico.
Sets up a USA/Japan final tonight. Should be fun!

2 Likes

There is certainly a lot of excitement among Japanese fans over the competition even if it is not so much on the radar with US fans.