2023 MLB Baseball Thread

@vjvj I believe that MLB moved to a balanced schedule this year ala NBA where you play a bunch of division games and then every team plays every team. Great for the Blue Jays, not so great for the Pale Hose.

Yes itā€™s a much more balance schedule with even more inter league play. Division games dropped to 13, games against non division league teams are 6 or 7, and you play every inter league opponent 3 times. I think thatā€™s how it works out. Though they may have saved the ā€œgeographic rivalsā€ for inter league play. Otherwise you alternate trips home and away with each AL/NL team.

The new balanced schedule includes 13 games against their division rivals, totaling 52 games. Each team will play six games against six opponents and seven games against four opponents in the same league for a total of 64 games. Each team will also play 46 interleague games.

Fewer games for the Jays against their tough AL East rivals works for me.

@Cooke if the Jays take advantage of the easier schedule we could be looking at 3 teams from the AL East in the playoffs this year

I havenā€™t looked at the inter-league schedule but three games for the Jays in St Louis against the Cardinals to start the season is tough. A tough inter-league schedule for the AL East teams could negate their advantage in playing less against each other.

With each team playing each other in the interleague, there is no real ā€œtoughā€ schedule - just a matter of home vs. road and which pitchers teams are facing on a given day. There is an additional game for ā€œnatural rivals,ā€ meaning that Yankees will have 4 games against the Mets, TB will have 4 games against Miami, etc., but that doesnā€™t make much of a difference over the course of the season.

1 Like

Wow, if Judge keeps this upā€¦

You mean 162 HRs and 324 RBIs for the season?

1 Like

yeah. like heā€™ll play in every game

1 Like

Stanton has to be the highest paid spectator ever, right? Heā€™s like the only person that is actually allowed to watch from the dugout for the next 6 years.

Ah come on he actually played RF today.

Sox likely establishing their foothold on last place already. Made a nice game of it at the end. A Devers HR or a double from Yoshida would have been a nice ending. Still do not know how Ryan Brasier is still in majors. Would love to see the kids from the farm system on the mound, couldnā€™t hurt.

Those two teams are likely to give up a lot of runs this year. Both have thin rotations and sketchy pens.

Appreciate the kind words, limiting criticism to thin and sketchy. In actuality, it is far worseā€¦and given the reliance on Sale and Kluber, it is not likely to be reliable either. Pitchers in the farm system should be VERY excited.

The 2023 Major League Baseball season begins today, with all 30 teams playing their first game on Opening Day for the first time since 1968.

Wife hates baseball, so Iā€™m limited to occasional happy news or a game on a restaurant TV.

Watching Astros game. Clock makes a big difference. Game is moving. Pace is really good.

Listening to the Jays/Cards game. Itā€™s a slog. 13 pitchers, 17 runs, 32 hits, 10 walks.

Final was Jays 10 Cards 9. Almost as crazy as the Jays 2022 opener when they came back to win 10-8. Good thing for the pitching staff that tomorrow is an off day.

Two 10-9 scores today. That score always resonates with me as that was the score in Game 7 of the 1960 World Series which was one of the first games I clearly remember watching as a kid. Heartbreaking game as I was a Yankees fan growing up.

1 Like

It was a see-saw battle all day long. Neither team seemed to want to make outs. Made for a long game.