2023 College Football Discussion

Big 12 might as well merge with the Pac X (number keeps changing).

A 20 - 22 team super conference? Not sure I see that happening. At that point just bring in 2 more teams and split back into 2 12 team conferences.

Someone at ESPN doing my job: analyzing schedules, finding pussies, bravehearts, etc.

The ones that interests me, but way at the end:

Power outages

Only seven Power 5 teams do not have a nonconference game against another Power 5 team or Notre Dame ā€“ Boston College, Houston, Michigan, Oklahoma, Oregon State, UCF and UCLA.

Powering up

Louisville, with Jeff Brohm returning to his alma mater as coach, will play three Power 5 schools (including Notre Dame) in the nonconference part of its schedule ā€“ at Indiana on Sept. 16, home against Notre Dame on Oct. 7 and home against in-state rival Kentucky on Nov. 25 to close the season. Colorado, Pittsburgh, Utah and West Virginia are the only other FBS schools playing 11 Power 5 opponents in 2023.

So reports are that the PAC 12 media rights deal is with Apple TV. I guess Iā€™ll still not be watching much PAC 12 since their network isnā€™t currently on DirecTV which is what I have. Iā€™m not a total BYU and anyone playing Utah type fan, but it would be nice to see a few more of Utahā€™s games. But not at the expense of an Apple TV subscription that donā€™t have yet.

AZ/ASU board of regents (it is the same board so they can make a decision for both schools at once) meeting later today with executive session to discuss Athletics. Waiting to see if Utahā€™s board schedules an emergency meeting today or tomorrow.

U-Dub and Oregon say, ā€œHold my beer.ā€

Isnā€™t there a solution to this insanity that creates 2 sets of D1 conferences:
1 for football
1 for everything else, so the other sports can have more logical conferences by geography

Why drag the other sports into this? Push the reset button to 1995.

Assumption: Conferences optimize geographical logistics.

Promotion/Relegation for football only. No more conferences, just Premier, League Two, all the way down. At the top, 11 weeks, 24 teams per tier, two divisions of 12 each, top two play in semiā€™s, winners to finals Bottom ones of each division drop to next level, and the 11-place teams play to stay up. For lower levels, who cares. Just figure out the three that go up. Idea (Iā€™m starting to care): winners of each division are promoted and play for a ā€œchampionship.ā€ Third and fourth-place teams in opposite Divisions play two games for the final spot. Can make it interesting at the bottom, too.

Could separately do the same for every other sport. Conferences are an archaic concept.

You wouldnā€™t want to watch a Florida State vs UCLA womens water polo matchup for the 2029 Big 10 title?

1 Like

So when do the SEC and B1G (after they have each expanded to 20 or more schools) break away from the NCAA (at least for football)? And when they do, will they still play NCAA schools or does the NCAA fold if they break away for menā€™s basketball as well?

At what point does the NCAA increase eligibility to 6 or 7 years? With NIL RBs could make more in college or organize a separate deal for initial contract.

So if UW and OU join the B1G and UA, ASU and UofU join the Big 12 I would just laugh till I cried if WSU, OSU, Cal and Stanford kept the PAC 12 conference name and leveraged that into keeping an auto bid to the CFP and March Madness. I wonder what the rules are for the PAC to keep their spot in the CFP contracts and Big Dance bid rules?

Edit for @dr_t_non-fan, change the PAC 12 to PAC 4.

Does the CFP contract specify the name and if they change their name could they be kicked out? What does the NCAA require to be a conference, a specific number of teams?

The PAC has historically been quite numerate

1 Like

So now that it has happened, I really am more interested in what happens with the PAC Nā€™s automatic bid to the CFP?

I think that was already gone, with the new format, ā€œIn the 12-team format, the six highest-ranked conference champions will receive a bid, along with the next six highest-ranked teams.ā€

Source: Remaining college football conference realignment questions - ESPN

After the NCAA decided not to accept the negotiated 4 game suspension of Harbaugh, Michigan decided to self-impose a 3 game suspension.

Interestingly, an earlier article I read said the normal penalty would be a 6 game suspension. The dispute will now not be resolved until next spring. Do you think if he gets the 6 game suspension, the NCAA will count the 3 from this year and impose 3 more next year? That way he wonā€™t miss any B1G games? Rather than 1 B1G game this year with the 4 game suspension or 3 if they waited and he got a 6 game suspension next year?

So now they are the PAC 3?

Whoā€™s gone now?

Also, I think Stanford would have a better program as an independent. Harder to secure opponents, for sure. But joining a conference without getting media rights? Maybe they have a shit-ton of money they want to waste on Football. Could dump the team and the average IQ would rise, both in students and staff.

I thought Sanford was gone. Now Iā€™m seeing that the ACC hasnā€™t officially invited anyone yet.

So I guess it is still PAC 4 for now.

tOSU going with Two QBs for now.

Someone will lose and transfer like a baby.