2023 College Football Discussion

It’s amazing how many people are wrong about this. Mob Mentality is the explanation (but not the excuse). Such a sucky game. 15 minutes, at most of action around 4 hours of, well, drinking, band-playing, cheerleader-leering, etc. I mean, if you like these things, that’s why you’d attend a college football game. (I have no comment on any of these activities.)

What’s even stranger to me: i run into quite a few that are both big college football fans and Premier league fans. At the same time they despise MLS because it isn’t as nearly as high quality as EPL. Will want to murder you if you suggest this is the case with college football and the NFL.

1 Like

Well, not in the SEC, which actually is professional football.

1 Like

You dumping the EPL for Go Dawgs?

There was a debate within the SEC over whether there should be an 8 game conference schedule or a 9 game schedule. The only schools that supported a 9-game SEC schedule were Florida, Georgia, LSU, Missouri & Texas A&M. Those schools got voted down in favor of the remainder that want to schedule more cupcakes. Disappointing, but not surprising.

Reportedly OU & Texas also wanted 9 SEC games but did not have a vote

Short article with many flaws. There is WAY too much coverage of sports in the US.

BYU as part of their big splash of announcing their entry into the Big XII released a “photo” of what their new field will look like. They have painted the end zones and around the stretch Y in the middle of the field. They also added the Big XII logo. Though something didn’t come out quite as expected.

Some people have said that one of the logos is upside down but that isn’t the case as I looked at other Big XII schools fields. However, in all the photos/satellite images I was able to find, only Texas and Texas Tech (and maybe West Virginia sometimes) put the left one on the near side and the right one on the far side looking at the field from the point of view that the picture is. Everyone else puts the left one way and the right one close.

It was just a photo shopped image since they hosted the “Stadium of Fire” on Saturday evening July 1st, and they didn’t actually paint the field.

They did admit that they messed up the placement of the right logo though. I’m still wondering if they’ll fix it. I mean, it is just a stupid photo shopped picture.

i am hanging by a thread here. finish that thought - what are you still wondering?!?!?!?!

1 Like

Sorry about that. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Kiffin complaining about college football. Hey, if you don’t like it you should leave!!
(Heh-heh, checkmate!)

Shit that bugs me:

Kiffin prefaced his comments by saying he’s happy that players can get paid but said the unintended consequence of NIL is a “pay-for-play” system where players follow the money and the teams with the deepest pockets get the best talent.

Um, this is not “pay for play.” That is when parents pay thousands of dollars each year (instead of saving for college funding) to club sports so they can one day, maybe, get a scholarship.
This is “Play for Pay.” You play, they pay you!

Well, it used to be that players who weren’t getting the playing time they wanted or felt they deserved, or were in a situation where the team was bringing in someone to fairly immediately replace them would leave.

Now with NIL, the best players are leaving a good team and situation to go to a better team and get more money. And just the level of turnover in roster is making continuity a bigger issue.

40 new scholarship players in a single year? That is a huge amount of turnover for a team that had a decent year and has a decent and fairly stable coaching staff.

Though, Kiffin is probably not the one who should be saying it, unless the real goal is to make people not care at all about the issue.

Also: shit, who needs a scholarship when you get the big bucks? (Or is a scholarship required for NIL deals to be “legit”?) Give those scholarships to the less-marketable players who will actually get an education at the institution for which they play.

Not required. One company made an NIL deal with BYU less than full or non-scholarship (walkon) athletes (football at least) to pay them the equivalent of a full scholarship.

college hockey is weird in that there are some really small schools w name brand hockey programs. harvard, for example. harvard does not give athletic scholarships. But harvard has moneyed alums where it could generate NIL for players that makes the scholarship (or lack of it) meaningless.

and schools that have the max allowable scholarships could cut back on them - if the players are making bank, they don’t need to “save” $20K a year on in state tuition at the huge state u football factory.

Give more money to the coaches!

I imagine some players are smart enough (or have advisors who are) to figure out the total value of the package (scholarship + NIL from school A vs just NIL from school B).

Uh, we’re talking about football players.
We have actuaries who can’t do this kind of analysis in their job opportunities.

15%'ers doing the work the others can’t.

Reports say the Big 12 has voted to accept Colorado in as a member. Colorado is supposed to be meeting to day to decide. If Colorado joins, will Utah, and the 2 AZ schools be far behind?

Now they are saying Arizona to the Big 12 is a done deal and will be announced by Aug 1. This article says no more to the Big 12 after this. That they sill stick with 14 teams. But another article I read said 2 more might go and that those 2 could be UW and Oregon. That would be really bad for Utah and AZ which were rumored to be being courted by the Big 12.

Will the B1G go for anyone? The article I read also said something about FSU filing papers to leave the ACC but where would they go? If 2 more schools leave the PAC 12 that would leave them with only 6 teams of which only Utah has really done much recently. Would those 6 pick up 6 teams from the Mtn West or would the PAC fold and they try to merge into the Mtn West? Would the 6 that are left be enough to keep the level of wherever they end up a P5 or would it be P4 and they get relegated to G5?