2022 MLB Baseball Thread

“He based it to second.”

I’m trying to make “based” happen.

You’re competing with “legged” there, which seems like the more natural fit.

but legged is the act of running, without reference to the destination

“Legged it to second” says where you are going.

but “second”, first, home are all interchangeable

I’m confused about what your objection is.

You can say “(s)he legged it to X” for a number of different values of X, not restricted to baseball contexts.

I wasn’t saying “legged” is tied to a specific base.

It’s a stupid term. How about that?
Chefs “plate” things (also a weird term, but I’ll allow it).

I mean, I know the game is quite boring, so much so that its announcers have to use alternative terms for everything.

I think this is one of those things where certain announcers have it as a pet word. With White Sox broadcasts, for instance, it was rarely heard until Connor McKnight started filling in occasionally on radio. He uses it a lot. (He’s also infuriating about not giving any details right away - “That will plate the run” So, … wild pitch or passed ball? sacrifice fly? ground out? error? single? double? triple?)

2 Likes

Do you object to home plate being referred to as “the dish”? Just curious.

So my kid was in his first baseball game, playing third.
There were men on 1st & 2nd. So I tell him if he gets the ball, don’t throw it, just run to the bag.

Sure enough it is a slow roller, he scoops it up and just stands there. I yell to him to run to the bag.
And he just stands there. After they get out of the inning, I asked him why he didn’t run to the bag when he had the ball.

He looks at me teary eyed and says “What’s the bag?”

4 Likes

Just imagine the trouble you’d have been in had he run to your wife.

2 Likes

I do.

It makes me hungry.

Use “pentagon” or “house.”
Trying to make those happen as well.

i learned early that the terms used by coaches (older guys) was not always known yet by the little kids. i did not learn it early enough. but i knew too many guys who would repeat the same phrasing but louder and louder - and that didn’t convey the meaning any better.

1 Like

Ok then… good luck with that!

I certainly do. It takes me back to my rejection of ESPN SportsCenter in the mid-1990s as the hosts moved further away from the S toward the E.

Oh, for the days when ESPN was 50% Australian rules football.

3 Likes

Yasiel Puig makes 899 sports bets in a 3-month period. His MLB career is now officially over

DOJ release included in the tweet

https://twitter.com/BNightengale/status/1592310627246440449

Geez. He was apparently already broke from gambling losses and paying out to women ge sexually assaulted. And possibly paying the guys who smuggled him out of Cuba.

10 bets a day…not hard to do. in theory. but keeping it up for 90 days straight might be problematic

I think it was more the lying to the FBI than the betting with a bookie that got him in trouble.

1 Like