2022 MLB Baseball Thread

True, but the betting issue just made him a bit unsignable for an MLB Baseball team.

1 Like

Yeah, in terms of potential jail time the lying to the FBI is the bigger problem.

In terms of an MLB contract, gambling is the bigger problem. (They donā€™t care if youā€™re a felon as long as youā€™re not a gambler.) We have the 1919 Chicago Black Sox to thank for that. (See also: Pete Rose)

Was he likely to get signed, anyway? Heā€™s been out of the league for 3 years now.

Why didnā€™t he get a MLB contract in 2021 or 2022? Iā€™m totally speculating, but I suspect that 2 on-field brawls, plus some sexual assault allegations meant it was already felt that heā€™d be more trouble than he was worth.

Iā€™d rather not see Pete Rose.

Agreed, but the likelihood has just decreased from 0.000001% to 0.000000%.

Liberty Media has announced plans to spin off the Atlanta Braves and associated real estate in the Battery into itā€™s own stock. A publicly traded baseball team is interesting.

It will be MLBs version of the Packers

Nah, the Packer thing is mostly smoke and mirrors. A share of Packers stock doesnā€™t give a person an equity interest, pays no dividends, and canā€™t be traded.

I donā€™t like it.

I personally am a fan since now we will be able to see how much they are making from TV deals, merchandising, etc. and the public will be able to see for themselves if management says we have now money to pay players like some low payroll teams do now.

Carlos Beltran - HoF?

I am thinking yes.

9 AS games
3 GG
7 times in MVP vote
top 50 bases, doubles, HRs, Extra Base hits, RBI
400+ HR, 300+ SB, 4th in Career SB%

1 Like

Maybe eventually, but I think being the ringleader on the sign stealing scandal means he wonā€™t have the votes yet this year

1 Like

Guys Iā€™d vote for:
Andruw Jones. While his offensive stats might leave him just short, I think his excellent defense should put him in. I donā€™t think he has the votes.
Jeff Kent. Probably the best offensive 2B since Hornsby when he retired. The fact that his defense was a little shaky and he was an asshole has made him short on votes. I donā€™t think he has a remote chance of making it soon, but he should

Borderline and probably the lower end of borderline. I mean heā€™s better than some who are in and worse than others who are not.

He seems like more of an accumulator who didnā€™t quite accumulate enough rather than a lofty peak guy who was too short.

I donā€™t think it would be egregious either way if if he gets in or not.

Iā€™d have to give it more thought before I could decide if he should be in.

Beltran was above average for a long time but he was never great. He didnā€™t reach 3000 hits and he didnā€™t hit 500 HRā€™s. Defensively, he was capable , not great.

I donā€™t know, he is on the fence, but Iā€™d sway against his candidacy.

Association with the Astros only hurts his case.

1 Like

Iā€™ve got a category thatā€™s ā€œok, put the cheaters in if you think you really must, but donā€™t do it until after theyā€™re deadā€ that I think heā€™s good for. Iā€™m undecided on whether ā€œuntil theyā€™re deadā€ means the individual or means all involved with that cheating/scandal. Pete Rose belongs in that category, as do the steroid-ers

1 Like

no evidence Beltran cheated during his playing career

beltran also was huge in post season (or was at least once), correct?

You mean besides the Astros sign stealing thing?

1 Like

crap, was he a player or coach, maybe I misremembered