2022 MLB Baseball Thread

Phillies playing Astros and
Eagles playing Texans tonight

1 Like

They should have scheduled Sixers vs Rockets to complete the trifecta

3 Likes

And a Mike Schmidt vs Hakeen Olajuwon steel cage death match.

Rather see Greg Luzinski or Ryan Howard

There was a very ā€œun-baseballā€ like remark that one of the commentators made last night during the Phillies-Astros game. Late in the game he said that ā€œthe Phillies really had a chance to smash Verlander in the face during the second inning.ā€ Maybe he covers hockey or football in addition to baseball as baseball commentators are usually less graphic. There was a long period of silence after the remark as his partner was probably not sure how to respond.

I saw an article on FB that had a description that said that after wild rallies the Phillies ā€œwere unable to plate the tying run.ā€ Has anyone ever heard scoring a run termed that way? I was thinking it meant getting the tying run to the plate, but they did that with every batter but one in the 9th, didnā€™t they?

Common phrase. Plate, means to score, not to get to bat

4 Likes

it is a common term, plating

2 Likes

First Iā€™ve heard of it. Probably those younger broadcasters who binge-watch the Great British Bake-off, and to whom I do not listen.

Gretchen, stop trying to make ā€˜platingā€™ happen, itā€™s NOT going to happen!

Twin towers. It should be 2 on 2.

Exactly. To plate is to reach home plate safely.

Yet when they compile statistics, they have runs, not plates and they have plate appearances which are not runs scored. Just saying.

I donā€™t disagree with you and I might have heard ā€œto plateā€ meaning to score a run, but if I had, it was deep in my memory and I didnā€™t recall it immediately.

It is known, Khaleesi. I donā€™t even have to ask my baseball fanatic trivia friends.

Maybe slightly confusing, but being used as a v.t. makes it clearer than a hypothetical usage ā€œHe plated.ā€ FWIW not all baseball terms are official baseball statistics terms.

It is a somewhat new term, stupid kids taking over the TV profession.

I feel like Iā€™ve heard that terminology my whole life. Definitely some old school (and some now retired) broadcasters, wouldnā€™t say itā€™s new.

3 Likes

True, but ā€œplate a runā€ can really only mean one thing IMO. I rarely, if ever, hear the term ā€œplateā€ or ā€œplatingā€ not followed by ā€œa runā€ or ā€œrunsā€ or something pretty close to that.

I mean when we discuss the batter making his way to first base we usually say he ā€œranā€ to first base, which doesnā€™t mean that he scored a run. You have to look at the words in context, not in isolation. Similarly the word ā€œhitā€ can mean that the batter was hit by the pitch, the batter got a base hit, or less frequently but not rarely that another player or umpire or fan was hit by a ball or the bat or a portion thereof, or even another player or coach if a brawl breaks out. Itā€™s usually pretty obvious what they mean though.

Similarly in football if the down is ā€œfirst and goalā€ that has nothing to do with kicking a field goalā€¦ the context is hugely relevant.

I canā€™t believe weā€™re still going on about ā€œplating runsā€ itā€™s a term I recall hearing as long as Iā€™ve been listening to baseball. Itā€™s just not terribly common usage.

3 Likes

really, I never heard that term

1 Like

:laughing: