2022-23 NBA Basketball Thread

Celtics taking playing possum a little far.

It ain’t over until it’s over but Celtics in big trouble as they are usually invincible at home. Not a good spring so far for favoured Boston teams.

0-150 or 1-149?

Spoke too soon
0-151
1-150
2 - 149

?

Playing possum Red Sox style

Well eventually someone in the NBA will come back from 3-0 down.

I thought the more interesting statistic was that LA has never even won another game after going down 0-3 in a series. They are 0-8.

And when it looks like you are going down 0-3 and you are down 30 points in the 3rd/early 4th, do you just basically throw in the towel? Trying to rest your starters to see if they can now win 4 in a row?

I sense the Celtics will not be that team.

I would lay down a few hundred on BOS to win the series, given high enough odds. If each game is 50/50, shouldn’t BOS be 15-1 dogs to win the series? Assuming 1 basketball game is equal to 1 coin flip.

Since BOS is the (perceived) better team, BOS will be favored in every game (home and road) and should still have a reasonable chance of winning the series. Shouldn’t BOS still have a 20-25% chance to win the series? Does anyone know the current series price (at a legitimate betting site)?

If I’m reading it right the one site I’ve found has Miami -1300 and Boston +800,

So yeah 8:1 on has Boston winning the coin flip 4 straight. So if you think Boston has closer to a 25% chance to win 3 straight sure go ahead and bet it. But Boston sure looked and sounded lost after game 3.

On the other side Denver is -3000 and LAL +1700

Fan duel has the same Odds for ECF

1 Like

Based on the experience so far in this series, I don’t think a coin flip is the proper (implied) analogy.

Everything is a bernoulli trial. If you don’t understand that, you really shouldn’t gamble.

538 says Boston has an 11% chance of winning the series. That implies a 57.6% chance to win every game, although this does not account for home/road variations in win chance.

Well, I don’t think that’s right, either. Probably taking A LOT of a priori crap (ELO) into account, so they look smart.
Probably added a “Well, it’s Boston, and Boston teams come back from 0-3 deficits.”
538 still has Boston as the “better team,” for their computer simulations.

This was the impetus for my negative comment on their odds.

When the Raptors in their 2019 championship season came back from their 0-2 deficit against the Bucks they still looked alive and the home court turned them around.

Nuggets might be the stealthiest 1 seed to ever reach the finals. Congrats on their first trip.

I heard the end on the radio and it was a bit annoying. They were expecting Labron to get a foul on the last play, even after the game was over. Then they went on to extoll Labron for all the minutes he played. Only then did they even mention Denver.

Shame that Denver not being lauded more but stars in the LA and NY markets will always get the most media attention. And Lebron is as big as they get.

If only they had a 2 time MVP, I’m sure they’d get more attention then.

1 Like

Yeah, but even beyond the start thing, what I don’t get is that it is in their best interest at this point to hype Denver for the upcoming series, not LA.

They are merely lamenting. because LAL will always be a better ratings draw (for networks) and conversation-makers (pundits). Far more love and hate with LAL than The Denver Somethings.
They’ll do a little research.