2021-22 NCAA Men's College Basketball Discussion

ifyp. i know, you likely assumed the context. but not every player at gonzaga is catholic. wonder when that historic barrier fell

Poor Bellarmine University. They upgraded from DIV II to Div I in 2020, entering the Atlantic Sun conference - Kenpom’s 21st ranked conference in the land. They won the conference tourney, but the NCAA tells them, sorry, no team is allowed into the big dance until 5 years after upgrading from Div II ball. “We got to protect the integrity of Div I ball” they tell the Knights of Bellarmine.

So this little Kentucky school will be at home this March, watching with the rest of us.

1 Like

I imagine they knew this rule before winning their game, right? Unlike most of the rest of us who weren’t told about it until after they won. Though, I’m not sure whether they are the first team to be excluded because of this rule.

I know there have been football teams that upgraded from FCS to FBS and were denied the chance to go to a bowl game for the same reasoned rule.

Basically, when you move up you are on probation and don’t get to participate in the post season.

So, merit is not important.
Being the better team is not important.
In sports.
Got it.

Seems like a stupid rule in Sports.

1 Like

This is the NCAA so I think “stupid” is redundant.

Kinda like the transfer rules making a player sit out a year.

That’s been done away wth.

1 Like

Not easily or quickly. That was my point, though.

Look what it took for the NCAA to do away with that rule.

Fun read about 'beating a team three times."

My take: when the two-loss team HAS to win to advance, while the two-win team is already expected to make the NCAA tourney, that might be the difference.

And when the teams are evenly matched, data say it’s a toss-up. And the two-loss team “learned more” in their losses than the winning team did. They know what will take to win, change their strategy, while the winning team will just keep doing what it’s doing, playing right into the losing team’s hands.

Another 538 article about Providence, the luckiest team in the NCAA.

I haven’t been on recently to erupt over the amazing UNC/Duke game, but believe you me, erupt I did! (and now that I’ve posted it publicly, we’ll lose to UVA tonight).

Syracuse put up a good fight without their best player available today as well.

WFU losing to BC was a definite surprise. It will be disappointing if that knocks them out of the NCAA bracket.

That kid should have been expelled, kicked off the team, and charged with assault. You don’t just punch someone in anger and think you can get away with it. His parents should be embarrassed. {Yeah I know who it was}

A 1 game suspension is a joke. He literally just punched an unsuspecting victim in the gut.

Eh, it’s an aggresive sport. Suspension follows precedent with prior such incidents re: Chris Paul, Grayson Allen. Kid knows he messed up. Expulsion definitely a stretch…ruin a kid’s education after being recruited to ‘beat’ another team? Nah. Definitely a poor play though…not something I would have expected out of him in particular.

I think the issue with not fitting with precedent is that didn’t all of those players get called for fouls and/or kicked out of the game where the offense occurred?

In this situation, there was no foul called, nor was it reviewed to determine an immediate punishment.

I don’t agree that an immediate foul or punishment is required for a suspension, but perhaps there should also be punishment for the officials that missed that. Maybe they don’t get to do any more of the ACC tournament games, along with the player’s suspension.

The incident was away from the ball, behind the players that were transitioning after a made basket. The officials cannot and cannot be expected to see every inch of the court at all moments. It’s 3 officials watching the actions of 10 players on 4700 square feet of floor. A dirty shot can happen when the perp know the officials are elsewhere for an instant.

The camera coverage, on the other hand, sees the whole court all the time.

Shame on Jim Boeheim for bitching that there shouldn’t be a suspension since there was no foul. He deserves a suspension was saying as much.

Syracuse University should be embarrassed by its player and its coach.

1 Like

pro coaches seem to not fall into these traps as much. college coaches in FB and BB are at times the most self-serving people on earth, completely detached from reality and accountability but filled to the brim with entitlement and indignation that someone would ever questions them.

1 Like

The player that was hit, had the wind knocked out of him and ended up on the floor. If they stopped the game for the injured player, they should have been able to review why he was injured. But it sounds like unless it is fairly immediate, the rules don’t allow them to review. That is a stupid rule.

BTW, Boeheim had his first losing season in forever and this happened with his 2 sons on his team. Good for him.

1 Like

One of my espn-auto-fill-brackets put Wisconsin as winning it all, so for the tie breaker score I put they’d win 42-38.

I don’t really pay attention to basketball anymore. Are they still the slow plodding team of years gone by?

According to Kenpom’s front page, they are 208th out of 358 in Adjusted Tempo. So they are on the slower side of average, but not boring, super slow pace of years gone by when under coach Bo Ryan.

1 Like

They are averaging 70.7 points a game so that may be a tad low.

1 Like

They used to average in the 50s. I remember a few years ago hearing about the change in culture at Wisconsin. Their current slower than average pace is more normal fluctuation within the basketball world rather than an intentional style choice to bog it down.

Glad that era is over. Wisconsin-Mich St games used to be brutal to watch for basketball fans, much better if you preferred rugby.

1 Like