2021-22 NCAA Men's College Basketball Discussion

I think the 10 second clock runs concurrently with the 5 second clock. If you take almost all of 5 seconds to inbound, you have just over 5 seconds to cross midcourt.

I’m pretty sure it doesn’t. Because the shot clock does not start until the ball is inbounded whether the game clock is running or not. And the 10 second rule is based on the shot clock. And is only actually counted by the official if the shot clock is turned off. But the 10 second count still wouldn’t count until the ball is inbounded.

While I’ll admit it is possible I am wrong here, I don’t think I am. I’ve been trying to find it by googling but not having much success. None of the places I have found identify whether they are overlapping. One place did say the team has 10 second from the time they gain possession of the ball to get it across the time line. And another place says that a team has 5 seconds from the time they gain possession of the ball to inbound it. But I still believe the 2 don’t overlap.

How many seconds does it take to cross half court in college?

Image result

10 seconds

What is a 10-Second Violation? A 10-second violation in basketball is a rule that the player must cross half court in 10 seconds after their team inbounds the ball. If they do not cross half court in 10 seconds, possession is awarded to the other team. This is a rule for NCAA, WNBA and high school basketball.

[

Basketball 10-Second Violation Rule - Rookie Road

](Basketball 10-Second Violation Rule)

Wiki:

Five-second throw-in violation[edit]

Under all basketball rule sets, a team attempting to throw a ball in-bounds has five seconds to release the ball towards the court.[1] The five second clock starts when the team throwing it in has possession of the ball (usually bounced or handed to a player while out of bounds by the official).

Seems to me there is no overlap. Five seconds to release the ball into the court (not complete the pass, just into the court), THEN 10 additional seconds to cross half-court.

My trivia team has a BB rules expert, a long time HS ref and college timekeeper. I will get full explanation Weds.

Wednesday?? but that’s not 22222-day!!

I am not retired or divorced, nor do I otherwise qualify to play trivia every evening, especially since I like being married.

So, you don’t know his number?

I thought about texting, but it is probably better to be a conversation. And he is playing trivia soon, so a call wouldn’t work.

Ah. An addict! (To trivia!)
I understand.

I guess we can wait, and I think he’ll confirm the “no overlapping of time” rule that A321 and I agree on.

1 Like

I used to officiate basketball back in the day. No, there’s no overlap between the two.

1 Like

Correct. No overlap. Ref that gives ball to player counts the 5. Once ball is touched game timer starts the game clock, shot clock timer starts the shot clock. Ref that handed the ball watches the shot clock for 20 for closing half court, which is 10 after inbounding. The shot clock can’t run if the game clock isn’t running.

1 Like

Top 6 poll teams lose on same day.

Does that imply some parity or is that just an any given Saturday type thing?

1 Like

St Mary’s (who just beat Gonzaga) have an unusual roster - 2 players each from Australia, Estonia and New Zealand and one from Lithuania. Looks like they have two direct pipelines to Down Under and the Baltic states.

Gonzaga is over rated. They are only 7 - 3 against legit competition this year. If they were in the Big 10 or Big 12, they would have an extra 3 or 4 losses by now because those leagues have competitive programs in the mid tier of their leagues. CHet Holmgren would get chewed up and spit out by Big 10 centers.

Kenpom is a much better indicator of talent than the polls. Sorry, I ltrust math more than anecdotal opinion.

Umm, Kenpom has Gonzaga as #1 as well.

I had to laugh when I saw the ESPN bracket this morning and they had BYU in a play in game. At this point, I think BYU would have to at the least get to the WCC championship game to do that. That would require them to beat a fairly poor WCC team, then beat USanFran which is projected to be in and beat Gonzaga. Not sure I see that happening.

1 Like

BYU has a player from Tanzania, one from Nigeria and one from Mali. They made history a bit ago by starting 4 black players and 5 players not of the LDS faith.

1 Like

They had some tough teams when my school was up against them back in their Mountain West days.

On the Bubble Watch:

This is from the KENPOM front page, so I am not reposting non-public info. I just sorted the kenpom rankings to see what they implied about the teams on the bubble. It doesn’t always hang together what other websites opine.

Note the last 4 are potential bid stealers. They are teams that are good enough to get an at-large bid in the case of them losing their conference tourneys. So if Davidson loses the auto bid from the A10 tourney, they are better than BYU and BYU gets bumped.

The number after the team name is the Kenpom Adjusted Efficiency Margin (AdjEM, or “power score”) The next column is predicted NCAA seed, and then it’s the Conference and Conference rank. Ex NC is 4th in the ACC, which puts them near the bubble. Down year for the ACC

This is essentially three additional spots up for grabs for non-Power 5 (six?) teams.

I think you have to call it power 6. The Power-5 football conferences plus the Big East

The count by conference is
ACC 5
B10 8
B12 6
BE 6
Pac12 3
SEC 7

But the West Coast Conference sits at 4 teams (Gonzaga, St Mary’s, San Fran, BYU) over only 3 from the Pac 12!