2021-22 English Premier League discussion

He did really well at Wolves but the board and players bought into what he was trying to do. He didn’t have either at Spurs and so was doomed from the start. I don’t think the new owners at Newcastle want the same either but they would probably accept it short term for Premier League survival. However, it looks like Emery is going to get that one.

Maybe Santo has a chance at Newcastle now Emery has ruled himself out. Howe also being considered.

Eddie Howe has reportedly “agree in principle” to manage Newcastle

Wow, fun weekend for most. Thought LIV would eke out a draw, but Mane’s header went awry.

Pleased for Moyes, he deserves his West Ham success after a few bad job choices.

Should be in next year’s thread, but here goes.
EPL finalizes its 22-23 season.

Good news is that there are no international breaks in September and October.
So, starting one week early, no weekend break until WC, then coming back on Boxing Day eight days after WC final, and ending the season a week later than usual.
Not sure what the commotion is about not getting three weeks off before and after the WC. I mean, they get that in summer, because it’s the summertime. There is already a three-week break there. Ain’t got no time for that in Winter. A week should be fine on each side. Besides, only four teams will be playing that last week anyway. Should get a nice long summer out of it all.

I’m assuming all the other normal-season leagues are doing the same thing.

Still wondering about Euro Group mid-weeks. Would be nice to have that finished before the WC break. Final matches are usually T-Day week.
And then there are domestic cups that play midweek.

OK, let’s roll! Back to club competition.
First up: NBC drops mo money for mo years, to 2028.
Now, just hoping they don’t throw them all to Peacock, cuz Mecum Auctions make far more money in advertising.

Arsenal getting thrashed 0-4 by Liverpool would normally go down as the most satisfying result from today, but Man U outdid that earlier by getting hammered by Watford 1-4 in a match where the final score was mostly indicative of play, even if Watford got there with a pair of late goals.

I can’t see Ole lasting much longer.

Ugh, the streaming piss that is NBC’s Peacock is going full bore: NO games on MBCSN or USA on Sunday. Mecum apparently had a long auction. Not sure if it was new or what, but more commercials and a captured demographic that buys stuff from commercials is what will kill EPL (and a lot of top leagues’ soccer) on cable in America.
The leagues don’t seem to care, and simply take the most money without regard to the finished product.

1 Like

That’s three that I know of this year. First one was a heart attack during the NEW-TOT match about a month ago.

Some Chelsea players were seen covering their faces as they looked over to where the incident was unfolding.

Now, I’m curious. I’ll probably have to watch the “highlights” and halftime summaries in a few minutes.

This year could be a solid 3-team race. Origi has a knack for late goals.

Meanwhile Spurs trying to get to 4th place before they start playing good teams again. Would not be surprised if Spurs don’t put much effort into Europa Conference League match next week and bow out of that insignificant competition to save their energy for EPL.

And, the world is now right again.

Spurs so COVIDy.

Maybe Spurs should just forfeit their game against Rennes rather than try to reschedule it before year end. Spurs already have an EPL game to make up and have a busy December schedule. Time for them to concentrate on EPL and bow out of Europa Conference League competition.

January is no picnic, either, with FA Cup and all. And, if they win their League Cup match, that’s one more game in January.
Thinking they should have a little more time, since the knockout play-in’s are not until mid Feb.
Looking at Rennes’ schedule: open next midweek, busy the following midweek.
And, don’t even think about squeezing one in between the holidays due to TOT’s schedule.
I think TOT should pay for a charter flight and all the other transportations, and a night’s stay at a fancy hotel near the stadium.

12/14 is the only possible date, I think, unless they push to January, since TOT play on the 16th.

I do agree that this UECL match should be forfeited, especially with TWO EPL matches to make up, AND EFL Cup still to play.

UEFA has announced TOT-Rennes match will not be rescheduled.

League might shut down until January. This is a pretty bad surge, and I don’t think the teams want to play without fans paying to attend.

So, when to play four (or more) postponed matches? I guess in June. The FIFA playoffs are mid-June. Not sure how many EPL players would be in those matches. Some from South America, maybe.

The Guardian is now reporting that the EPL has decided against full shutdown until the New Year. There will still be a lot of cancelled games though! Spurs now have played three fewer EPL games than the top 5 EPL teams. Next game is against the Reds unfortunately.