2020 Presidential Transition Discussion

:whynotboth?:

1 Like

I measure the decisions from the baseline. Before Trump, our deficits were decreasing. The primary change that brought back a trillion dollar deficit was a tax cut, not a spending increase.

COVID relief - that is a spending problem.

2 Likes

This would be a good time for you to list your $1 trillion in spending cuts.

1 Like

US Chamber of Commerce urges Trump to stop being a baby, pull up his Huggies, and be a big kid now (paraphrased).

GOP has gone full bat shit crazy

“We will not be intimidated…We are going to clean this mess up now. President Trump won by a landslide. We are going to prove it. And we are going to reclaim the United States of America for the people who vote for freedom.”—Sidney Powell

The Americans voted for freedom: freedom from an idiotocracy. Freedom from nascent Fascism.

2 Likes

Put this in the “things I never expected to see” file:

Federal and state officials from both parties have declared the 2020 election safe and secure. But Trump and his allies have spent two weeks raising false claims of fraud and refusing to concede to President-elect Joe Biden.

So what’s so unusual about that? I’ve seen something similar many times from the NY Times or the WaPo.

But, in this case, it comes from:

Scroll all the way to the bottom.

This has me very concerned.
A sizable portion of the Trump base, perhaps 1/4, has fascist leanings. They wouldn’t self describe with that term, but they check a lot of the boxes. Fervent Nationalism, support for large corporate power, and a sense of victimhood that justifies retribution against the “outsiders”. State violence against “them” is perfectly warranted.

This puts the GOP in a very precarious position. It cannot win elections without that group of voters. But those voters are constantly drawing the party further and further from the center (getting primaryed by a QANON, is a real possibility.

Historically, when the party leadership can no longer say no to the mob they harbor, it ends very badly.

Georgia audit is done. There was no miracle where they found 15k uncounted trump votes. Given the high level of scrutiny on this process, its time to trust that the system flowed through correctly and Biden won. Time for the GOP to fully let go and allow full transition to a Biden admin.

Even if there was some mail in conspiracy fraud, there is no way to identify it now. To some extent, the election could have gone either way but in the end we need to use the system to pick a winner; the system we have in place has clearly identified Biden as the winner. Just like the system in place in 2016 allowed Trump to win.

wtf is Rudy asking for? We revote, 100% in person, with each person getting their picture taken holding 2 forms of ID, todays newspaper, and their completed ballot? Some of the other insane shit the lawyers said was total nonsense; that Hugo Chavez directed an elaborate scheme to switch election votes because communism? omfg, rudy, you gotta stop.

The prime time lineup at Fox is starting to crack.

Did Bush deserve some blame for where we were when Obama took office? Honest answer? If so then Obama blaming him for some of the problems he encountered is expected and appropriate.

could this be the end of Hanity and a fox transition to 100% Tucker?

This is coming my friend. I thought we could vote Trump out, but his influence is going to be almost as strong out of office if he actually leaves. Until he dies I just don’t see how this goes away. It feeds his narcissism so he will never cease his role in it. That’s the extreme of naiveté to believe he is going to suddenly take the high road.

The damage Trump has done to the country will persist beyond his years. He has given a playbook to someone out there far more dangerous than himself. Someone like him, but is also intelligent. Trump has also shown that there is enough of a base of support for this that you only really need to convince another 1-2 percent of the country to hold on. The reality is without COVID, we very likely had another 4 years of Trump, and possibly a complete destruction of the remaining institutions maintaining democracy.

1 Like

I think they have to change their focus, to complaining about everything Incoming Biden has done and will ever do for the next four years while waiting orders regarding who the next savior (i.e. false idol) is for the GOP.

1 Like

I’m hoping that Congress can agree on some safeguards to prevent these types of shenanigans. Perhaps make the Attorney General and DOJ independent of the President or limiting a President’s ability to pardon his/her cronies.

Given that the AG and DOJ are responsible for enforcing criminal law at the Federal level and that is a specific function of the executive branch I don’t see that happening. Unconstitutional.

As @R_Daneel_Olivaw said the justice department is a branch of the executive branch. It is a separation of powers from the other two branches. What you should be thankful for is that this separation of powers has largely kept Trump from stealing the election because the judges have universally said the allegations they have brought in court have no merit. Since the electoral college is part of the legislative branch it is now the legislative branches laws that will hopefully protect us from this treasonous President and install the rightful winner of the election into the office of President.

I think you are confusing the DOJ with the court system. The DOJ is in the executive branch. The AG is nominated and can by fired by the President. Federal judges do not work in the DOJ.

I don’t know how you make the DOJ completely separate. It is an executive function. I think it would take a constitutional amendment creating a fourth branch, or giving Congress some equal control of the DOJ.

Similarly, limiting pardon power is a constitutional amendment. I’m in favor of that one. We should simply eliminate it entirely. If people think there is a miscarriage of justice and some individual has been wrongly convicted or punished, they can go through the regular process of passing laws to correct that one situation.