2020 Presidential Transition Discussion

Republicans will view them as too extreme and refuse to negotiate

So no different from what Republicans are now.

1 Like

No, definitely not, but there’s a chance that having Biden in office might change the dynamic. Another possible sign of better things to come is an interview that Charles Koch had with the WSJ where he expressed regret that his political influence fueled fire on the partisan divide and he’s looking to repair the damage that he and his brother had caused. I’m not holding my breath that this will help much, especially since he contributed almost $3M in campaign money to Republican candidates this year, but let’s see how this plays out.

Biden has already begun the process of blaming the failures of his administration on the Trump administration, i.e., due to a disorderly transition. :frowning:

Link please

I’m not too bothered by someone being blamed for something they are actively doing. I’m not even bothered by pointing out blame in the first several months - when there hasn’t been much time to fix things.

If you are still blaming your predecessor for things 3 1/2 years into your term, that’s just lame.

4 Likes

And nobody played the “blame my predecessor” better than Obama.

https://www.investors.com/politics/editorials/obama-blames-bush-for-his-jobs-failures/

The link is for an example from approximately 3 1/2 year into Obama’s first term. He continued the blame game into his 2nd term.

Is that supposed to prove that he blamed Bush? I don’t see a single quote from Obama blaming Bush.

1 Like

Looking at the article, it’s clear that the author thinks that Obama was blaming Bush. It’s not as clear that Obama actually was.

If he was, then he was being lame.

1 Like

I think it’s pretty clear to economists that the reason the recovery took so long was that stimulus measures were too small. The government did not keep enough business going during the downturn to ensure there was enough activity to employ people on the other end. I have a feeling we are about to do the same thing over the next several months.

You can determine who’s fault it was that stimulus measures were too small.

1 Like

Are you truly that forgetful, or just too young to remember 8 years of Obama’s continual “Blame Bush” responses?

Here’s a link from the Washington Post (hardly a right leaning publication) with a direct “Blame Bush” quote and discussion of the strategy.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/the-fix/post/president-obama-and-the-bush-blame-game/2011/08/30/gIQA4n94pJ_blog.html

PRO TIP: “Obama was lame”

Pay wall.

Don’t take it out on me that you took the time to post a link that didn’t support your argument. I never claimed Obama didn’t blame Bush, rather that you didn’t provide evidence of it.

Here’s quotes from the article behind the paywall:

In an interview with radio host Tom Joyner on Tuesday morning, President Obama engaged in a bit of blame-game politics.

Asked by Joyner about the current struggling state of the economy, Obama replied: “George Bush left us a $1 trillion deficit, and so it’s a lot harder to climb out of this hole when we don’t have a lot of money in the federal coffers.”

The “blame Bush” strategy is one that continues to have somewhat surprising political legs — even two and a half years after the Republican president left the political stage.

In that same AP poll just 11 percent of people described the state of the nation’s economy as “good” (one percent said “very good”) while just one in three — 36 percent — approved of Obama’s handling of the economy.

The problem for Obama and his political team is that it’s not entirely clear how long the public will continue to put the lion’s share of blame for the economy on the last occupant of the White House.

Elections tend to be about the future not the past and Republicans are and will continue to do everything they can to make sure Obama owns the economy.

Democrats, naturally, are working to keep the blame from falling too heavily on President Obama but there have been slipups — most notably from Democratic National Committee Chairwoman Debbie Wasserman Schultz (Fla.) who said last month that “we own the economy”.

Here’s what I got out of that.

I can agree with that.

So, how lame is Trump?

Today Trump is about 15% lame, if you assume that the lame duck period started on 11/8

I don’t mind him blaming the other guy if, in fact, it is the other guy’s fault.

Obama inherited the worst economy since the Great Depression. That was due to the gross failure of gov’t regulation, caused by people who thought gov’t regulation was always a Bad Thing. Obama negotiated the biggest stimulus bill he could get, but it was smaller than many economists recommended, because Republicans. When Obama was president they cared about deficits.

Simply stopping the job losses and bending the employment curve up was a major lift.

So yeah, he did what he could with the bad situation they left him. Something like ‘We’re not at 5% unemployment yet because we started is such a deep hole’ would be an accurate description of the situation.

And here we are 12 years later with an even worse fiscal situation handed from Trump to Biden.

And once again, when you cut taxes it times of prosperity, it makes it difficult to cut taxes even further during the hard times.

IFYP

Your post seemed to think we have a revenue problem rather than a spending problem.