You can see the new AO here

Good point. And if they weren’t going to, perhaps they’ll read this and decide to.

Agree with all of this. Sometimes I’d be bored and wander into Careers or Exams for a post or three and then wander back to Political / NAT. Or an interesting question would pop up that would catch my eye.

Glenn & Traci have established trust. DW Simpson has destroyed trust. Trust is hard to rebuild. And they’re not even trying to rebuild it.

What’s the over/under on how long it takes them to reach 1,000 posts total on the site? Two years?

It would be smart for them to be keeping an eye on this site, the Reddit actuarial stuff, and where ever else actuaries and students are hanging out and gossiping about chat sites. But I’m not sure who in the organization would be doing that. That doesn’t seem like the sort of thing you hire consultants to do.

:woman_shrugging:

Yep. It doesn’t seem like they actually want to host an actuarial discussion forum. Which is fine… but they should have given AO to someone who wanted it, or even sold it.

1 Like

I called and offered to have that conversation with them. They declined.

So Go actuary took us in when were set adrift by the AO, setup the forum in a similar way we used to have it/like it, and now the AO is back, but its just a blank site that looks like an intern setup.

Why do they have a disclosure banner on every page that looks like they just got sued?

1 Like

Interesting. Makes their behavior even more unforgivable. Do they hate actuaries?

Why Keep the name AO, though? That seems like an inappropriate name for a tightly moderated site for exam questions and polite discourse with other actuaries. It seems to me that name was meant to signal that the site was much more than that.

I think that goes in the “Data Science” section

2 Likes

I think a lot of us used a fake email address because you didn’t need a real one to register there, so probably not really.

that said, the new actuarialoutpost sucks. I don’t know what they are thinking with this.

The MOST helpful part of the exam forums for me wasn’t the real-time discussion, it was looking back at years of history on module exercises. Without that history, why would I start there to begin with?

Also, the professional forums benefit greatly from having seasoned actuaries randomly answer questions as a diversion from NAT/Diversions/Political. Good luck getting a lot of experienced actuaries to stick around on that site.

I saw AcademicActuary, Jim Daniels, Gandalf, etc help out students in the ASA section with their stumpers. :+1:

interesting. I didn’t realize anyone actually offered to buy it and they declined. they would rather just trash 19 years of history I guess.

We didn’t offer to buy it, though I can see how someone would get that impression. We called and offered to assist, so much more vague.

I remember at least one poster frequently stating something to the effect of “Do you think DW Simpson would be happy to know that this statement is allowed on the AO and is a reflection of DW Simpson.” Maybe that individual, or others thinking along the same lines, actually wrote to DW Simpson expressing their thoughts and DW Simpson decided to nuke the place and put up that disclaimer.
No insider info on this, just a wild theory here.

I kind of wonder what happened to trigger the drastic change, and get rid of everything without giving anyone a heads up or let them save their stuff or anything, like if somebody important complained about the content of the site or whatever.

I hate grey type. Jeez. Just advertise “old people need not visit”

We can do that on LinkedIn if we want to. Dear lord.

Talk about torching some potentially valuable info. Oh well, not my circus.

1 Like

i see they have an email address to report posts and say it’s not gonna be monitored 24/7. sounds like they aren’t gonna ask the former ao moderators to continue on, not that i thought they would since they hadn’t been contacted before the ao was decimated.

Even if they re-upped the old ao moderators, it wouldn’t be monitored 24/7. I’m not sure any internet chat site is.

On the flip side, if it’s really going to be only about exams, I doubt any of the old ao mods would be interested in moderating. As Campbell pointed, one volunteers to moderate a site because one uses the site anyway. They will likely either need to pay someone to moderate or to recruit some actuarial candidates who want to use the site.