Worldle / WhereTaken / WhenTaken

#Worldle #439 X/6 (94%)
:green_square::green_square::green_square::white_large_square::white_large_square::arrow_upper_right:
:green_square::green_square::green_square::yellow_square::white_large_square::arrow_lower_left:
:green_square::green_square::green_square::white_large_square::white_large_square::arrow_right:
:green_square::green_square::green_square::green_square::white_large_square::arrow_down:
:green_square::green_square::green_square::green_square::white_large_square::arrow_lower_left:
:green_square::green_square::green_square::green_square::yellow_square::arrow_lower_left:

One of these days I should spend an hour looking at Africa

:iatp: except an hour wouldn’t help much

#Worldle #439 X/6 (95%)
:green_square::green_square::green_square::green_square::yellow_square::arrow_lower_left:
:green_square::green_square::green_square::green_square::white_large_square::arrow_upper_left:
:green_square::green_square::green_square::yellow_square::white_large_square::arrow_left:
:green_square::green_square::green_square::yellow_square::white_large_square::arrow_left:
:green_square::green_square::green_square::green_square::yellow_square::arrow_left:
:green_square::green_square::green_square::green_square::yellow_square::arrow_lower_right:

1 Like

Shouldn’t I get some kind of credit if all my guesses were in Africa? And in knoath’s case, if all guesses after his first African guess were in Africa?

I give you 50 GoA bucks credit for that. Guinea is the wrap-around of several smaller nations on the west coast.
I spend about 5 minutes with world map most days, and recite the west coast of africa going in order because it is a lot of small countries. It also helps to try to develop a list of disambiguators based on how the shape of similar countries differ to your own eye .

Yeah I think it’s most important to remember where the countries are in relation to each other. Very rarely will I recognize the shape.

#Worldle #440 6/6 (100%)
:green_square::green_square::green_square::white_large_square::white_large_square::arrow_left:
:green_square::green_square::green_square::green_square::yellow_square::arrow_left:
:green_square::green_square::green_square::green_square::yellow_square::arrow_lower_right:
:green_square::green_square::green_square::green_square::yellow_square::arrow_down:
:green_square::green_square::green_square::green_square::green_square::tada:

Nailbiting stuff. I was close by the second guess but it still could have been several countries. Fourth guess was Hungary. I’ve traveled from Austria to Hungary so knew it was roughly in a westerly direction so the fifth guess was Austria. Fortunately we have a Slovenic(?) friend who lives in Austria because it’s just over the northern border of Slovenia. I also knew that Slovenia was wedged between Italy and Croatia and the shape of the country didn’t look like them.

1 Like

#Worldle #440 6/6 (100%)
:green_square::green_square::green_square::green_square::yellow_square::arrow_upper_left:
:green_square::green_square::green_square::green_square::yellow_square::arrow_down:
:green_square::green_square::green_square::green_square::yellow_square::arrow_upper_left:

Very similar to knoath, but with less knowledge to work with. Except for first guess Turkey, every guess within 500 miles, with second guess Austria the closest until I got it.

2 Likes

#Worldle #441 X/6 (95%)
:green_square::green_square::green_square::green_square::yellow_square::arrow_upper_right:
:green_square::green_square::green_square::green_square::white_large_square::arrow_upper_left:
:green_square::green_square::green_square::green_square::yellow_square::arrow_right:
:green_square::green_square::green_square::green_square::yellow_square::arrow_upper_right:

I’d discounted Algeria early because it said it was south-west of Tunisia by 600 miles and in my memory it is directly west and right next to it. Of course, it’s a much bigger country and most of it is to the south of Tunisia. 5 of my 6 guesses (Mauritania, Niger, Western Sahara, Tunisia and Mali) share a border and only Chad didn’t.

Frustrating miss but goes to show more study of Africa is needed.

1 Like

i think of the southern borders of the top tier african coutries as a zig zag Algeria/Libya then straight Egypt. Tunisia and NJ have a similar shape. Straight line southern border means one of the northern (and nw counting western sahara) libya has a straight east border w egypt (and vice versa egypt) western sahara has a stairstep s/e border w/Mauritania

#Worldle #441 6/6 (100%)

Very surprised to get it.

2 Likes

#Worldle #442 3/6 (100%)

The -stan study came in handy.

1 Like

#Worldle #442 5/6 (100%)
:green_square::green_square::green_square::green_square::white_large_square::arrow_right:
:green_square::green_square::green_square::green_square::yellow_square::arrow_right:

I hadn’t gotten around to it. Success on 4th STAN guess, plus Bangladesh as guess 2

2 Likes

#Worldle #443 2/6 (100%)
:green_square::green_square::white_large_square::white_large_square::white_large_square::arrow_upper_left:

Looks like a man with a hunchback and a horn throwing around trash on a windy day

1 Like

#Worldle #443 2/6 (100%)
:green_square::green_square::white_large_square::white_large_square::white_large_square::arrow_upper_left:

On GoA, “looks like” after a results posts refers to the shape of the pattern of guesses. For Wordle anyway.

If I cared about getting it in 1, I would have. Remembered being surprised before about Denmark’s map having so many islands. But if not Denmark, guessing Denmark wouldn’t help much, and if Denmark once I got Europe I would get it right away.

So I started Malaysia. Maybe not smart, because even if close to Malaysia I would still be struggling, especially since not that sure where even Malaysia was down there. But based on direction / distance from general idea of Malaysia’s location, Denmark was easy guess 2.

2 Likes

#Worldle #444 X/6 (98%)
:green_square::green_square::green_square::white_large_square::white_large_square::arrow_lower_left:

This was on my list of potential countries but the list was too big.

#Worldle #444 6/6 (100%)
:green_square::green_square::green_square::yellow_square::white_large_square::arrow_lower_left:
:green_square::green_square::green_square::green_square::white_large_square::arrow_left:

I had looked at the map of Africa, even focusing on the northern coast and that part of Africa (around the Western bulge), before starting. Remembered little, except many of the countries which were in that part. Never would have gotten it otherwise.

2 Likes

First time for a before-playing review. Will it continue? TBD

Cramming for the exam.

#Worldle #445 3/6 (100%)
:green_square::green_square::green_square::green_square::white_large_square::arrow_lower_right:

That skin tag at the top right made me think there are mountains involved.

#Worldle #445 6/6 (100%)
:green_square::green_square::green_square::green_square::yellow_square::arrow_up:

finally got in just in time, on the sixth STAN I guessed

1 Like