Women's Soccer

FFF fire W coach.

This just after vowing to stay and defending herself against the smear capaign.

Hey, your players don’t want to play for you. That causes a problem for the Federation. The solution is obvious.

Canada Federation’s proposal seems a lot like the USA agreement. As it should be, as the model for equitable treatment and finances for all federations.

1 Like

I guess this is what happens when people start caring too much about their club’s women’s side:

OK, the USWNT has some friendlies with the Irish. Trying to finalize who among a squad that could finish 1-2 in the WWC if allowed to bring two teams. Got five moms for these friendlies (a World Record!), among them Julie Ertz, just back from delivering Zach Ertz’s baby, though she has no team at the mo’. No NWSL team in the Phoenix area, and a baby will make long-distance parenting a chore. Z Ertz needs to get traded to: SEA, HOU, KC, CHI, CAR, WAS, NYJ, NYG.

1 Like

Oh, ESPN. Please proofread your photo captions. Let me see if I can paste this mistake…

Chloe Kelly, Steph Houghton, Kerstin Casparij, Alex Greenwood and Laia Aleixandri celebrate Lauren Hemp’s goal for Manchester United against Arsenal at The Academy Stadium on Feb. 11, 2023. Tom Flathers/Manchester City FC via Getty Images

I think the people at the back aren’t celebrating but are doing the Toyota oh what a feeling jump

France has a new coach.

No relation to the captain/former captain/captain, I assume.

Swanson got taken off on a stretcher and went to the hospital with a knee injury

Good confidence booster for the Matildas -ending England unbeaten 30 game run. 100 days until the World Cup.

FA, this time, giving W teams a whopping 7,500 tickets each for the W FA Cup at Wembley.
You know, instead of, say, 30,000 each that the men’s teams received (and probably always have received) for last year for the M FA Cup.

Seems they have already sold 65,000 tix to the W FA Cup, so they knew from the beginning, before they started selling tickets, that the allocation for the W teams would be low.
cuz, W.

More W fun. This time it’s clubs vs countries;

I kind of agree that the W need to rest before this grueling tournament. There is an international window, and if the W country teams want to be equal to the M country teams, then respect the team’s (the ones that pay the big money) wishes to protect their assets. Can’t give the old, “but it’s W, so not as important” excuse anymore.

And now, things have loosened up a bit, for, say, Euro W’s.

Let’s see: NWSL has matches scheduled on July 8.

Another possible drop from the USWNT:

She was a “wait-and-see” a month ago on the “who’s in, who’s out” article on ESPN.

Spain still steaming over players who wanted things to change. Some made themselves available and were still snubbed.

USWNT players dropping like flies:

Lucky our backup team could make the finals.

USWNT announced for 2023 WWC roster.
Some on, some off. We’ll see.

Meanwhile the Canadian women are still battling for a new compensation agreement. Would have thought that Canada Soccer would have had this settled long before the World Cup but they didn’t get this done for the men either. Canadian women’s team not in a good frame of mind for WC. Probably an early exit.

USWNT players talking about, um, stuff.

Sorry, I do not understand the paradigm shift. From what “A,” to what “B”? Any specifics?
Ramble, ramble, something about businesses need to show up and front more money or something or they’ll miss out?
I think businesses are much smarter these days about where they put their money for a decent ROI. This ain’t the 50’s (or even the 90’s). And most have a bunch of shareholders who don’t care about anything but the return.

FIFA making referees get all pedantic about their calls.

Honestly, the game of soccer is for the players. People simply happen to enjoy watching it. This won’t make it more enjoyable, even for those who don’t know the game.
Ref overturns an original call because they see it differently now. What’s to explain? I hope the VAR has The LOTG handy for the Referee to reference.
“On page 100 of the IFAB Laws of The Game 2023-24, ‘handball’ is defined. In this instance the ball hit the shoulder, not the arm and subsequently the play scored. No foul. Goal. Kickoff blue team.”
I’ll be interested in the new hand/arm signals, NFL style.

Anyone know the odds for teams winning the WWC?
(Can’t look on my work PC, cuz nanny.)

First guess is USWNT 50%.
Field 50%.

OK, Google gives me odds without nanny harassment
USWNT +225 . I’d take that bet.