Women's Soccer

Mods: Probably should just merge “NWSL” and “2022 Euro W” threads into this.

FIFA having an issue getting other countries’ broadcasters to bid high enough for the 2023 WWC.
Now, having broadcasters bid separately for M and W is one issue. Require the bid to be for both. FIFA can then decide the allocation, which will get them in trouble for not making it 50/50.
But, doing the bidding separately allows them to say, “See? The market has decided that WWC is worth 20% of the MWC. So, that’s why the prize money is lower. You’re just not that interesting. Sorry.”
FIFA should refuse to show it, make their own stream for those countries, and keep all the ad money, which means they would need to create an ad division.

Other main issue is that it is being held in AUS/NZ, and the live times will not be conducive to normal human sleep patterns. Networks know this, based on WC 2006 and Olympics 00/08/14/18/20/22.

Results of today’s WC draw and commentary.

1 Like

Group D looks to be the closest to the “Group of Death” as it’s the only group with 3 teams with a Fifa ranking in the top 20 - England, Denmark and China.

Group A looks interesting where the 2nd and 3rd ranked teams in the group are very closely ranked (Switzerland at 21 and NZ at 22, although NZ would have home ground advantage).

I thought Canada’s group was also interesting as it includes a home team, Australia. They may be playing the deciding game to win the Group before thousands of excited Aussie fans. Playing at Wembley certainly helped England beat the US team recently.

If England win Group D as expected, Canada and Australia will be playing to avoid meeting England in the next round, so it should be a rip-snorter of a match. Although Australian fans would love to see Australia knock England out of the tournament.

Canada looked strong beating Australia twice in matches in Brisbane and Sydney last month. I am optimistic they will win the Group and get a weak second round appointment. No one wants to play England that early in the tournament but it might be Nigeria rather than Australia that gets that fate.

Textbook case of “Complain about something? Get chosen to fix it.”

Wondering how bad things really are at the Youth Club level. Guessing “very.”

Best of luck to her.

1 Like

Ladies looked for for the second half last night, er, earlier today, in NZ. Seemed to be pretty warm, as the players took water between the needless National Anthems and the start of the match. Lots of water. Sprayed it on their faces. Perfect time for an actual World Cup in the Southern hemisphere. Might be a bit cold in July.

USA v Canada on now. Good to see how their world cup prep is going.

Hadn’t heard of this tournament before - the She Believes Cup. An annual invitational round robin with four teams. This was supposed to be the lineup in 2021 before Japan pulled out with Covid. Four very good teams - US, Canada, Brazil and Japan. They are 4 of the top 5 non-European teams - North Korea is one spot ahead of Japan.

I thought the Canadian women were on strike over their compensation? In any event, I don’t expect much from them in this tournament with all their current labour relations issues. Soccer Canada has to get its act together.

I continue to believe that England is the only team that can seriously challenge the USWNT at the World Cup. I expect to see the Lionesses and the Americans in the Final. Canada will be lucky to make the quarterfinals.

I think there’s a lot of depth in Europe. Don’t forget that the Euros were held in UK, so home ground advantage. I think that Spain had an unfortunate injury just at the wrong time. There’s a few good teams in Europe - France and Germany can also do well. Sweden are ranked highly but they didn’t seem that convincing in the last couple of tournaments I watched.

I am talking out of my arse/ass. I would like to get more into women’s soccer - would love to go Down Under for the World Cup but we just went there in November. Would love to see Sam Kerr (she seriously walks on water) play in her prime.

Canada put aside its labour distractions long enough to beat Brazil today. Stupid that this issue has dragged on this long: hopefully resolved before the World Cup but that didn’t happen for the men’s team.

Alright, USWNT wins She Believes Cup.

Meanwhile, at Spurs:

The link at ESPN said this, though:

I’m thinking, “Oh, which Men’s Spurs player did that?” But it was a women’s team player. ESPN, wag of the finger to you for not specifying which Spurs team it was. (Yes, they should also note “Men’s Spurs…” when discussing a player on that team as well, for “equality.”)

Oh, and there was ANOTHER tourney for the women:

1 Like

Meanwhile the Lionesses just breeze along.

Now, three Frenchies are dropping from the WWC, wanting changes (coach, mainly) on the team.

Top 10 teams that are getting shit on by their federations:

Canada Soccer has been incompetent the last few years with one misstep after another. The President finally stepped down today. The men’s team have time before the next World Cup to refocus: the women don’t have that luxury of time.