Winter solstice

I’m in Cincinnati at the moment. Yesterday the high was 3. Today the high is a balmy 15.

Driving last night when it was about -2 and the interstates were still covered in snow because apparently they don’t bother to even plow the roads if they can’t salt. (Which… there’s still value in plowing, but whatever.)

An idiot in an SUV (which presumably gave him a false sense of security) went speeding past me… I was doing about 35 and he was probably going about 55, which is the speed limit… you know, when the road is NOT covered with three inches of snow. He spun around and was going backwards up I-75 North at 55 mph for a bit with his headlights shining in my face. Finally slowed down a bit and seemingly regained control of his vehicle as he backed off to the side of the Highway and started to turn his vehicle around. His car at this point has spun 270 degrees from when he initially passed me. I gave him an incredibly wide berth, but he apparently slammed on the accelerator and then re-lost control and nearly t-boned me as I was passing him. I really thought he was going to hit me… his front bumper could not have been more than an inch from my car and about 6 inches from my face.

People are so dumb.

Most canadian day ever. Theyve pulled the snowplows off the road locally due to weather. Spouse needs tea so off i go to tim hortons. Four wheel drive isnt working in the truck, probably a fuse and im not sitting outside checking it today. Get through the drive through, had to stop and give buddy a boost in the parking lot.

2 Likes

In fairness, I suppose I should point out that the hotel where I was hiding from my inlaws had its water main burst. They were unable to repair it, so I was left on Christmas Eve to go find shelter in a nearby stable, for there was no space in the nearby Hampton Inn.

It’s a shame the timing was just a little bit off. I got to meet my goddaughter’s daughter today. Goddaugher’s mom swore that her daughter was a virgin up until the pregnancy. Since my goddaughter’s personality is diametrically opposed to a rather well known virgin mother, I’ve hypothesized that the baby is the second coming of Cthulhu. If only that could somehow have been fit in with my lodging misadventures tonight…

Driving over to see the goddaughter and her family involved 90 minutes driving on back roads, each way. I kept a tally of flags I saw flying in front of residences/farms:

17 Confederate battle flags
19 Trump flags of various flavors
9 US flags
2 state flags
1 flag that was a mashup of the US flag blending into the Confederate battle flag
1 Ukrainian flag
2 Russian flags, 1 of which was embossed with a “Z”

I remember why I was happy to escape my exile this part of the world…

I miss winter. :slightly_frowning_face:

Its april weather gods! Its not supposed to be this fucking hot.

I also did NOT bring summer clothes to my parents house and going out in black yoga pants in 90 degree heat is stifling

1 Like

Yikes! It’s not even that hot in the midwest, shouldn’t be that spicy in NY. Oof.

Manhattan is 6 degrees cooler. Staten Island is just in hell. It’s usually the opposite I think.

1 Like

I remember when I moved to Connecticut 25 years ago.

The relocation agent assured me that I wouldn’t really need air conditioning up here.

Yesterday and today, before the midpoint of April, I’ve been glad to have A/C in this house.

(That first June in that triplex I rented, when we had several days of triple-digit heat, also kinda sucked.)

1 Like

The relocation agent sounds like an idiot.

She was perplexed at my insistence on access to cable internet (which admittedly was still an uncommon request 25 years ago). I suspect she wanted to get rid of me.

we had like 5 days in the mid-upper 80s. im not acclimated to it so it felt rough running in it. 2 weeks ago we had 9 inches of snow. the heat broke yesterday and we might get some flurries overnight.

Not sure I said this but while we were being hit with huge snow storms a week ago last Tuesday we had a record low maximum of 33 with 20" of snow. One week later we had a record high maximum of 83. Spring in the Wasatch.

Eh, I spent a lot of summers in Boston as a kid and there were rarely days where you really needed air conditioning or where it would even be worth turning it on if you had it. Connecticut is a little further south, but not too much.

I think it’s legit gotten warmer.

For sure when I lived in Seattle no one had it and when I lived in Portland very few people did. But in more recent years those cities have started getting hotter too. I always said there was never a single day that I missed having it in Seattle and only about 8-10 days each summer I missed having it in Portland… partially exacerbated by having no window treatment on the largest window in the house, which happened to be west-facing. But my friends who are still there are largely telling me that they’ve added A/C in the last 10 years.

Might be similar in Connecticut.

I live in nyc. Stamford connecticut is a short train ride away. If i need ac in nyc, i will also need ac in Stamford Connecticut

25 years ago i also needed ac in nyc.

This shows average July temperatures in Boston by year.

https://www.extremeweatherwatch.com/cities/boston/month-july/monthly-average-temp

From this I calculated average Boston July temperature by decade and there is a slow upward trend. Of course, this is only the mean, so max/min may have more variation.

2010s 75.99
2000s 72.97
1990s 74.23
1980s 74.19
1970s 74
1960s 72.85
1950s 74.2
1940s 73.14
1930s 72.62
1920s 72.39
1910s 73.07
1900s 72.1

1 Like

Boston/CT depends how close to the coast you are. If close enough to the coast you can get by without but that includes some days each year that are uncomfortable to sleep even w fans.

I lived without ac in suburb of boston as a kid. Would not do that now. Anything more than 15 miles inland, i would def want ac

The weather here is bipolar!!!

I thought i liked the heat, but that 90 degrees with the most horrible allergies mixed in last weekend was awful. I welcome the 40s now.

april 1st we had 9 inches of snow. next day got “warm” as it was our first day of 50 degrees in a while.

April 9th-14th were in the mid-upper 80s. night of the 14th the temps crashed. we got an inch of snow overnight into the 15th.

its been a weird run. I remain super glad i started allergy shots and have almost no seasonal allergy impacts. (I am almost graduating from them - 5 yrs goes by fast.)